Lower Ball Joint Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sprawlcowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade 3.7

My front lower ball joints are causing some fun and annoying noises.

I called Chrysler for the recall, the parts for them are backordered indefinitely and they have no way of knowing when they'll be available.

Is it possible to replace them without going into as much detail as here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZtAS42ju24

Had me until bearings, axle shafts, and steering linkages...

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
liberty is IFS no need to pull the axle shaft, you can gen complete lower control arms with the bushings already installed, or you cal pull the LCA and rebuild it yourself...not easy without a good shop press but doable, or you could find a shop willing to do the rebuild for you no different than how some people bring their front shocks and springs to be built when they lift their jeep.

edited to remove wrong info. to clarify: the lower balljoint is pressed into the spindle, and the balljoint stud is inserted into the LCA, not the other way around.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
:shrug::shrug::shrug:
Ball joint is attached to the spindle
not the lower control arm
So you must remove the spindle to get the ball joint out.
It sits right under the CV

The video is for a solid axle setup not a IFS

remove tire, brakes, nut on the end of the CV, upper and lower ball joint nuts, tie rod end then remove spindle, pull spindle and now you can access the lower ball joint

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, i thought it was pressed into the lca, i guess i picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue.
thanks for the correction tom.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Back ordered indefinitely? Considering the safety & importance, I would think that if you purchased new ball joints and got the Moog with a zerk fitting that the dealer may install them No Charge for you.
Get an alignment as well after this work.

Last edited:

sprawlcowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an advantage to going with the Moog serviceable ball joints, having to purchase the ball joint removal kit from harbor freight, or would simply purchasing a new lower control arm with ball joint installed be a better route?

Do the LCAs sold by JBA have a ball joint installed?

It's getting louder by the day. Getting anxious. Tried to call the stealership to ask protocol on an undrivable vehicle due to recall, the parts for which are made from unobtanium. To see if I'm at least going to get a rental car in the event of a catastrophic failure. Nothing yet.

And no. They will only install factory parts for a recall unfortunately. I asked about that.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Moog BJ is stronger and has a zerk fitting for grease. It is the drying out of the factory BJ that leads to corrosion and eventually possible failures-not good at all.
So ya..MOOG is the way to go. I would try another dealer or call Chrysler and explain that you will buy the new BJ's (Moog) and ask that they install those. If not to heck with Chrysler and have a shop do it 4 you.
The LCA Moog BJ are 57.77 each at JBA Replacement Ball joint for front lower control arm on the Jeep Liberty KJ
As previously mentioned by Tom The BJ is not part of the LCA is it attached to the spindle.
Here is a link with good info in what is all involved as well.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/first-time-lower-ball-joint-removal-43346/

Last edited:

sprawlcowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I'm just going to go with the Moogs then, because down the road it will likely happen again with the Chrysler ball joint, and this entire ordeal is certainly not free when calculating time, energy, and frustration.

I'll call another dealership and if they won't do it, I'll go from there. Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Members online