Low Beams Don't Work!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zachw0903

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I'll check those things, too.

Or maybe I'll just strap some flashlights to my hood and say to hell with it.:D

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I'll check those things, too.

Or maybe I'll just strap some flashlights to my hood and say to hell with it.:D

LOL...

Electrical problems suck.. But at least that's where i have more experience and i like the challenge too. Now mechanical problem, i'll trade them for electrical.

zachw0903

Reaction score
Electrical problems suck.. But at least that's where i have more experience and i like the challenge too. Now mechanical problem, i'll trade them for electrical.

Yes they do! I have not yet figured out the ACTUAL problem, might be a short inside the BCM, but I did find a way to get my low beams on.mj.gif I ended up running a jumper from the ground terminal at the low beam relay and putting a switch on it. Don't really know why this worked, but I can drive at night while I save for the machanic.:mad:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they do! I have not yet figured out the ACTUAL problem, might be a short inside the BCM, but I did find a way to get my low beams on.mj.gif I ended up running a jumper from the ground terminal at the low beam relay and putting a switch on it. Don't really know why this worked, but I can drive at night while I save for the machanic.:mad:

Ahh, so the BCM or multi function switch turns on and off the ground to the relay coil then!

Well other than tracing out that ground wire in the harness to make sure its not cut or broken it's probably time for the mechanic then.

I haven't had to investigate the lighting system on the KJ yet thankfully, knock on wood! I would assume the multi-function switch tells the BCM to switch on and off the relay then?? Anyone that knows the flow want to comment?

beeeleee

Reaction score
Hi there I was wondering if by chance you know what the other relays are located next to the low beam relay? My problem is I have no interior lights when the doors are opened or when I turn them on with the switch on the blinkers. I have changed out the multifunction switch and still nothing I am thinking it might be a relay and because of your post about the low beam relay I have recently located these behind the fuse box but am wondering if one of these might possibly be one for the interior lights? The only lights that work are the map lights and only when pushed nothing else and the cargo light doesn't come on when pushed either. I have changed out the bulbs as well but still nothing. I thank you in advance for any help.

Twood9

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2002 Jeep liberty. It still runs and drives but my headlights, taillights, windshield wipers, speedometer, cruise control and locks quit working last week. I'm not sure what's wrong or where to begin

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2002 Jeep liberty. It still runs and drives but my headlights, taillights, windshield wipers, speedometer, cruise control and locks quit working last week. I'm not sure what's wrong or where to begin

Check all the fuses in the box in the engine bay and the fuse panel inside the cabin.

Most of the failing functions you are mentioning are controlled by the BCM which is on the reverse side of the internal fuse panel and there are lots of relays there as well which can be swapped over.

Download the 2002 KJ Service Manual here....section 8W has the Wiring Diagrams which will help you identify the relevant fuses and relays involved.

Start with tracing the front and rear light faults using a cheap digital Multi Meter and then move onto the connector on the rear diff which is for the speedometer and cruise control....this connector can go bad and also the pigtail to this connector can chafe on nearby brake cables or the chassis.

Also the sensor on the diff could fail but if all these problems occurred at the same time I would suspect a wiring or fuse problem.

I had a loose connection of this connector on the rear diff of my 2002 Export CRD which stopped speedo from working....once I fixed the bad connection it took about a week of stop/start runs for the speedo to start working again!

Service Manuals: Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Last edited:

darwinless

Reaction score
Anyone ever figure this out? I have gone through all fuses and swapped the relays for high and low beams so the relay checked out. 2005 liberty crd

darwinless

Reaction score
Yeah, beginning to think that is it. Going to the u pull place next week, said they would sell me one for 15 bucks.