Loosing Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jblake1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my water pump about 2 years ago in my 04 liberty and for about a year, I have been slowly loosing coolant. Maybe 1/3 gal every 6 months. Two days ago I put some coolant in to the cold fill line and went on about my day. I looked today to just check and I was low again. So I just put a half gallon in just a few minutes ago. I am not sure if I was just really low or if I am loosing coolant. I am not sure where to check. It doesnt look like there is coolant on the ground, but I cannot be for sure. What hoses could I check? I looked at the one taht comes out of the coolant resivior and do not see any problems, but I am not sure what to check, Does anymone have a pic of what I should check or the best way to check it. I prefer not to take it to a shop but will if I have to.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of fluid are you using?

Check the radiator. It will probably only leak while driving so you may or may not see fluid on the ground.

jblake1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Antifreeze

(wrangler)It seems to be leaking it two spots and seems to be a decent leak. Doesnt seem far up enough to be the radiator and I was maybe thinking it was the hoses. Any idea what a dealer charges for this?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too much. Find a reliable independent shop that you would trust and let them do the work. Its not a huge deal to replace the radiator. I would only be using the G-05 coolant in the liberty. Napa usually carries it.

If you do find out that its the radiator and youre still under the 7yr/70k mile warranty the dealer may cover it for a $100 deductible.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you replaced stuff on it, did the hoses get replaced too? Step one is to check the hoses, why? Because i just had this problem on mine. Bought it and about a month later i was slowly bleeding coolant somewhere and i could smell it burning off the exhaust as it got blown around.

Turns out the hoses got replaced along with the radiator and it hadnt been driven much since. So after a few cycles of getting up to temp and cooling off the hose clamps needed tightening again. I tightened them down when they were cold and then took a nice long drive and got everything up to temp and tightened them a bit more. Topped off to the cold line and after another day of driving to burn off the remainder of coolant that was splashed here and there no more smell and no more loss.

If you still have the factory type spring loaded clamps on the hoses i would try replacing them with some real hose clamps, tighten them down but not like gorilla tight, dont go crazy on them. Then drive it for a bit, with expansion and contraction you will need to snug them back down a bit once everything gets hot again.

And you might even want to just replace the hoses too!

As for the other comments above i agree, make sure your oil looks good, not frothy or looking like chocolate milk up in the head, pull the fill cap off and look down in with a flashlight if nothing else and make sure everything looks normal. But since you getting coolant on the ground you just have an annoying external leak.

Hoses, radiator, thermostat housing, water pump... Since the water pump was replaced double check that, sometimes you can get it where they didnt torque the bolts right and over time with expansion and contraction a leak develops.

jblake1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coolant/water pump

Ok, I had a friend replace the water pump last time and I am looking today and it looks like it is the part right under the r134 compressor and alternator. It is wet around the seal. Is that the water pump and if so do you have any instructions on how to replace it. I am walking out right now to look at the engine oil. Will let you know.

jblake1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, just looked at the oil and it looks fine, just like it always had. The part that seems to be leaking is under the compressor and alternator and has a pully on it. it is the pully right it the middle. Kind of hard to explain, but I think it is where the water pump was last time.

jblake1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the piece that looks round and has bolt holes around it. Does anyone have a how-to on replacing the water pump?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I think there is a "How to" about it.
Nope,can't find one here or on LOST. Do you have a haynes/chilton book? FSM?

Last edited:

jblake1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water pump

Ok the water pump is $55.00. Any idea what I dealer would charge for this? If I can get it done for fairly close I would like to do that because I will have to buy all the tools and drive 40 miles which gives the chance it totally fails.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep thats the water pump location, front and center. If you can turn a wrench you can replace that pump. Its pretty basic, remove the serpentine belt and then remove the bolts holding the pump to the block, clean off the gasket surface, new gasket and pump and bolt it all back together and reinstall the belt.

Just some tips.. Get some RTV and glue the gasket to the pump in a few spots and let it dry, then the gasket won't move around on you when your trying to bolt it back up. Also drain the coolant first, either by the petcock on the radiator or by pulling the lower hose and draining into a bucket.

As for a shop or dealer doing it, that depends... I don't know the book on this job, book being their shop guide that tells them the amount of time it takes to perform the job. But its in such a easy location to work on it that it shouldnt take more than an hour, i know i could get it done in that time. Unless you have the mechanical fan, then its a bigger job, but you must not or you wouldn't see the water pump pulley as the mechanical fan sits on the front of the water pump.

Latest posts

Members online