Loose Shifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that my automatic shifter in my 06 seems to be a little loose. It still shifts fine but i can lift it up about an 1/8" and wiggle it around a little bit. Any easy way to fix this?
Thanks!

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 is a little loose also. It may be normal. Ken

My sister has an 03 and hers is very nice and tight, thats the only reason i ask. Going from driving hers to mine i feel like i could wiggle mine off if i tried hard enough...

kena

Reaction score
My 05 was nice and tight also. I don't see any way of tightening it up right off, but still checking. Ken

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could there be some kind of bushing or adjustment for it?? I haven't seen how this shifter works, no reason to take apart my center console yet!

I guess i could look in the service manual and see if there is any pictures of it.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could there be some kind of bushing or adjustment for it?? I haven't seen how this shifter works, no reason to take apart my center console yet!

I guess i could look in the service manual and see if there is any pictures of it.

Yeah i would check my service manual but the PO must of wanted it alot because they didn't leave in there for me.... :mad:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah i would check my service manual but the PO must of wanted it alot because they didn't leave in there for me.... :mad:

Yeah, you mean the owners manual. Did you check the hidden slot above the glove box?? That's where it goes. If not you can go to jeep.com and download one.

BTT....I don't know how the shifter handle tightens up. ....sorry

Dave

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you mean the owners manual. Did you check the hidden slot above the glove box?? That's where it goes. If not you can go to jeep.com and download one.

Dave

Yupp i assumed that it would come with one, and didn't even look until i already bought it, well i think ill live without it :D

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem when i bought my 03', its nice having the manual on hand for things like fuses and relays identification, and if any minor questions come up. I found a nice like new manual and its canvas pouch on eBay for $5.

kena

Reaction score
Ok, here's the fix on this one. Pull the shift lever all the way back to low or # 1 so you can get at the little torx screw on the front side of the shifter lever. It takes a t-15 torx bit or possibly a metric allen wrench might work. Tighten up the screw being carful not to over tighten, just snug will do. Ken

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the fix on this one. Pull the shift lever all the way back to low or # 1 so you can get at the little torx screw on the front side of the shifter lever. It takes a t-15 torx bit or possibly a metric allen wrench might work. Tighten up the screw being carful not to over tighten, just snug will do. Ken

Awesome... Thanks for the info!

Did you have to remove the whole console to get to that set screw or??

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

thanks!!

kena

Reaction score
Awesome... Thanks for the info!

Did you have to remove the whole console to get to that set screw or??

No, you don't have to remove anything. The screw is near the top of the shift lever on the front side, just below the push button to get it out of park.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you don't have to remove anything. The screw is near the top of the shift lever on the front side, just below the push button to get it out of park.

Thanks so much, of course it was something i never thought to be so easy, and it was something that really bothered me! :D

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OHHH... When you guys said the shifter was loose i thought you meant the whole thing, not just the shifter knob, i knew about that set screw.