Looking for a lift kit...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here's my situation...

I just traded in my beetle on a 2004 Red Liberty with the black tie package (bull bars, nurf bars, tail light gaurds, etc). I'd like it to be a bit more aggressive looking and a bit higher but I don't want to have alignment issues and I want it to drive much like it does now.

I have narrowed it down to the Rusty's 2.5 suspension lift and the Franken lift. Obviously one is ALOT more expensive than the other.

My liberty rides nice, it has 55,000 km on it and is a Limited Edition.

It came with pretty new looking 235/70/R16 on it with seem like a nice size that would not necessitate me have to buy tires right after I lift because it would look funny.

Based on my Jeep... what would be the best bang for my buck... I'm kind of OCD so I want the best looking functional unit I can get.

I noticed there is a group buy on as well for the Rusty lift.

Any thoughs on this? Is the Franken lift REALLY worth the extra money?

Thanks,
Jeff Barry
http://www.hauntedyards.com

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too would like to know honest opinions on this subject.

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here's a question for you vetreans who have lifted yours already.

If I was to order the Rusty lift... are there ANY changes or additions to that kit which you would recommend to improve it...

I've read discussions about changing the rear shocks, etc...

I'd just like to do it once... and do it right the first time... I don't want to reinvent the wheel... so if you've installed one and then thought "i wish I'd done that..."

Please chime in!

Jeff

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hauntedyards said:
Ok here's a question for you vetreans who have lifted yours already.

If I was to order the Rusty lift... are there ANY changes or additions to that kit which you would recommend to improve it...

I've read discussions about changing the rear shocks, etc...

I'd just like to do it once... and do it right the first time... I don't want to reinvent the wheel... so if you've installed one and then thought "i wish I'd done that..."

Please chime in!

Jeff

Check here
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15164
Rear shocks can be upgraded to Rancho's or OME.

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I should be looking at:

2.5 Rustys Coil Lift MINUS the rear shocks
6x 2" conduit lock nuts (3 per side front)
2 upper rear spring isolators (1 extra per side rear) or 2?
OME N132L shocks for the rear ($179.00 + SH)

or

Rancho RSX 17505 struts
OME HD coils front and rear
OME N132L shocks for the rear ($179.00 + SH)
Daystar rear bump stops
6x 2" conduit lock nuts (3 per side front)
2 upper rear spring isolators (1 extra per side rear) or 2?

How does this sound?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you really going offroad it hard? Are you going bigger than 245/75 16's or 255/70 16's? If no then just get the rusty's coil lift and new rear shocks.If yes then get the coduit washers(to do clevis lift) and extra rear isolators. Doing a clevis lift and adding extra isolators in the rear will probally net you close to 3 1/2"(you will get 3 1/2" in the rear forsure) of lift and may cause some CV issues unless you are planning to add a winch,steel bumber up front,and in that case get the Frankinlift with the HD springs.

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just got a quote on the Frankenlift II Premium

(Frankenlift II Premium Lift Kit: Fits GAS KJs. Includes OME H/D Front and Rear Springs, OME NS131 Front Struts, OME N132L Rear Long Travel Shocks, Daystar Spacers, Poly Parts, Hardware, and Frankenlift Decal. Front Strut Assemblies comes pre-assembled.)

and it's going to be $1002 delivered... or $902 delivered with the Rancho struts instead of the OME.

Ouch...

Mind you... the $62 for delivery seems pretty reasonable.

I'll have to sell a few more things from my garage first...

If I just use this kit with the Rancho struts... do I HAVE to get new A-arms... they are bloody expensive... ???

Anyone install a Frankenlift who kept thier stock arms and are having no problems?

Jeff

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hauntedyards said:

(Frankenlift II Premium Lift Kit: Fits GAS KJs. Includes OME H/D Front and Rear Springs, OME NS131 Front Struts, OME N132L Rear Long Travel Shocks, Daystar Spacers, Poly Parts, Hardware, and Frankenlift Decal. Front Strut Assemblies comes pre-assembled.)

and it's going to be $1002 delivered... or $902 delivered with the Rancho struts instead of the OME.

Ouch...

If I just use this kit with the Rancho struts... do I HAVE to get new A-arms... they are bloody expensive... ???

Anyone install a Frankenlift who kept thier stock arms and are having no problems?

Jeff

Since you've jumped from from "BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK" Rusty's group buy to this, you might as well go whole hog, and get Jeepin Al's A-arms ( $375+ship.) with the greeseable ball joints, and a set of Moog K3199 greeseable lower ball joints to boot, while you've got the whole front suspension apart anyway.
And if you're considering lockers, and or 4:10 gears, this would also be a good time to put in a front Detroit True Trac as well, since you already have most of it apart already for the lift install. Then you'd have everything you could possibly want for a complete front end, short of a craddle drop. :-k

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hauntedyards said:

Ouch...

Jeff

The stock upper-arms will work if the proper extension bumpstops are installed on the Frankenlift. All-J has had some problems with getting them correct in the past, so you might want to check.
See this thread
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12860
Supposedly the problem has been fixed with new molded daystar spacer.

Either way though, a new set of a-arms can't hurt.

Griz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI on the Rusty's 2.5" Suspension Group Buy:

$425.00 +shipping

$450.00 with OME Nitrocharger Rear Shocks +shipping.

We currently have 11 buyers, and the time to order will be running out soon. Check the Group Buys topic for more info or PM me.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Griz said:
Just an FYI on the Rusty's 2.5" Suspension Group Buy:

$425.00 +shipping

$450.00 with OME Nitrocharger Rear Shocks +shipping.

We currently have 11 buyers, and the time to order will be running out soon. Check the Group Buys topic for more info or PM me.

Rusty's front strut are also OME too. He just puts his sticker over the OME part #, but Rusty's Gas Charged Front struts are also OME.

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok well I just can't justify the added expense since I really am not offroading that much anyways... Just need more clearance on the forestry roads and in the snow.

I'm in for the $450.00 with OME Nitrocharger Rear Shocks +shipping group buy.

I better not regret it... or... or... or.... I'll.... cry.

With the money I save I can get a roofbasket and some lights...

Jeff