Looking at Libertys, what to watch out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boatnut

Reaction score
Hello everyone

New member here. I am looking at buying an '06 or '07 liberty in the near future. I was wondering if there were any things that I should look out for when buying these particular years? I have driven many since they came out (they were my favorite rental vehicle when I travelled for work!). I will be using it as a daily driver and to tow my 18' bowrider (as you can tell by my user name, I am a bit of a boating fan).

Anything you can think of or any advice would be greatly appreciated!

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 06, at least, there were at least a couple recalls ... blower motor, ball joints, so you'll want to check to see if those were done. My mechanic advises me that the replacement installed with the ball joint recall is just the same part ... so even if the recall was done, you may want to have them checked periodically anyway.

Also there are many reports of problems with window regulators & the little plastic clip that holds the glass, and the repair can be expensive - so you may want to buy a service plan that'll cover that sort of thing (e.g. not just a "drive train" plan).

I've also been told it's an aluminum engine, so it's susceptible to damage if it's been over-heated ... so check for signs of that having happened (e.g. coolant stains, etc).

Lastly, if you're like me, you'll need to watch for what happens AFTER you buy it... I love driving it so much that I have put over 1,600 miles on it in the first month ... and I don't even use it for commuting!!! This is my 4th Jeep, and this one is (by far) my favorite. :winner_first_h4h:

boatnut

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

I had read about the window regulators on another thread, but wasn't aware of the ball joints or blower motor. Was there changes to the ball joints in '06, or it is something that I should be looking for on all liberty's? Would an '05 be a better year to buy?

bheiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!
Was there changes to the ball joints in '06, or it is something that I should be looking for on all liberty's? Would an '05 be a better year to buy?

Hmmm, I don't know, sorry... all my research was on '06's - those were the ones I looked at, because they were in my price range when I bought. The 05's had more mileage than I wanted, and the 07's were too pricey. :)

If you Google "automotive.com 2006 jeep liberty recalls" you can get the list, though I think you may need to go to Chrysler to find out for your specific VIN, as they vary at different points thru each model year. Also Carfax is supposed to report any open recalls...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Go '06 if you must choose between those years. '07 has that nasty, SLOW electronic throttle control. This was fixed with '08+ KKs as they switched to a different system of communication.

'07s behave this way

Put Pedal to floor
wait
wait, oh dang there goes the power!
tachometer increases...
THEN you go.

'06s do not have this problem.

boatnut

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I think I will limit my search to an '06. Preferably a limited or a Renegade with the selec-trac transfer case (my wife really wants the full time 4wd feature, as the roads get pretty nasty up here in the winter).

It's been a while since I have been able to do any off-roading (I used to have a YJ that I played with out on the trails), but hopefully I will be able to go out there and play again soon!

Cheers

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ball joint recall used to be replaced by the dealer with the same non-greasable ball joint as original. I put "Moog's" on mine with no problems since. Another somewhat common problem is the heat and A/C blower resistor. Very easy repair and costs $25-$100.00 depending on where you get it.
I have a factory Select-Trac in a 2006 Sport model but it's an export car. I don't know if that's why or not but the Sport has all the factory skids too. I wanted leather because I have a dog but none around in Panama. The factory cloth seats are horrible for staining even with water.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you certain?

Have a look in this listing. The picture of the console shows a selec-trac shifter.

http://miltonkia.autotrader.ca/used/Jeep/2006-Jeep-Liberty-86cdf9e40a0a000200f3c5c4176b6a0a.htm

That's a sweet Renegade - even has the tow package. And the black is my favorite! :smokin:

But no dice on the transfer case. That Libby has the CommandTrac - the SelecTrac case has a white insert on the shift lever with three indicators before the "N" and the 4 Lo. The three are 2WD, 4 Part Time, 4 Full Time. The CommandTrac only has 2WD and 4 Part Time.

If you're willing to give up the SelecTrac that is a nice ride. Or go ahead and buy that one then swap in a SelecTrac from a wrecked Libby...

guitarzan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go '06 if you must choose between those years. '07 has that nasty, SLOW electronic throttle control. This was fixed with '08+ KKs as they switched to a different system of communication.

'07s behave this way

Put Pedal to floor
wait
wait, oh dang there goes the power!
tachometer increases...
THEN you go.

'06s do not have this problem.

I have NEVER noticed that with my '07. Not that I go slamming it to the floor, but honestly... I can't tell a difference in it than any other car I've driven.

The only downfall I can find with my '07 is the stupid traction control garbage. In snow it really is irritating till you push the button and even then it's still too sensitive. I'm not sure what years the traction control is on other than '07 though.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I've driven several '07s and the throttle response is horribly slow, it's normal, that's how it's going to behave. No matter whether you are revving to redline or just driving around the city at 2500, there is still a very noticeable delay from the point of push-gas-pedal to go.

You'd have to drive either a '02-'06 or '08-'10 to notice the difference.

Regarding the snow, the owners manual tells you to push the button.

Oh and looks like I was wrong with the Renegade/Selec-Trac combination. I've never seen one that way, then again, I should rephrase... I have never seen a 2005 that way.... NOT a 2006.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
the SelecTrac case has a white insert on the shift lever with three indicators before the "N" and the 4 Lo.

My 2006 with Selec-Trac had a handle just like that. White Lettering on Black. Now that I know isn't true. That only applies to earlier model years.

boatnut

Reaction score
I did find the traction control a bit anoying when we took a limited out for a test drive on Saturday. Turning the esp off made things much better.

Anyhow, the hunt is on! I have a few questions about installing a pair of hella 500 fogs on the bumper, but I will look through some older posts first for answers. If I don't find what Iam looking for, I will start a new thread. I used to have a pair on my YJ, and they were fantastic!

Thanks again guys for your help!

Maine_Buzzard

Reaction score
02 Liberty Sport:

90K Camshaft and Crankshaft sensor failures. Read the code and replace them.
105K New radiator
110K Evap error- small leak. Put a new hose on the canister over the rear axle. The old one was 1/2" on a 5/8" fitting and cracked off.
125K Oil pressure flickers on at idle. It's probably the switch, but I am having trouble finding the right part. I need a two wire sensor, most are three. No knocking when the light is on, so I believe that the oil pump is good. If not, I'll replace it.

The usual fluids and parts at normal intervals.