Locking lugs, only on spare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from the dealer, and was a little confused with what I found out.

Some of you may remember that my Jeep was stolen back in November. All is good and repaired, but I recently replaced the owners manual that was lost, etc...

The last thing I needed to replace was the key for my locking lug on the spare, which was also lost in the theft. So I went to the dealer today thinking I could get just a key, or at the most, one key and lug for the spare, since I don't have locking lugs on any of the other wheels.

I was told I had to buy the whole set of 5, which I thought was kind of odd, being mine only had one from the get go. They got the old locking lug off for me with a key they had, proving it was a factory lug. I ended up buying a whole set for $40, which really isn't a bad price, and they're good quality, I just find it odd, I could just get one.

so my question, who has locking lugs on thier spares, do you have all 5, do you even have any at all?

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do not have to buy all 5, you just have to order them individually from McGard, which you also should have done to replace the key. McGard is the manufacturer of the "Mopar" locking lugs and they sell under thier own brand name at Pep Boys for less than the Jeep dealer. Just know your thread pattern, which everyone should, anyway. As you will see now that you bought a whole new set, there is a key code printed on a card in the package so that if you ever need a new key or lug, they can give you one of that code to match. You're also supposed to mail in to McGard to register your locks in case you don't have the code handy and need a replacement. For what it is worth, though, they Keys are $15 and the Lugs are something like $12 each when you go that route, so you might as well just buy a whole set at $40, though you kind of got ripped off since MSRP is only $38.00 and a good dealer would have sold them for $30 or less.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You didn't necessarily have to buy all 5, but if you didn't know the code... well that kind of makes that very hard.

But yes, the Jeep locks do come in sets of 5.

rebelram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to buy just one for my spare, but since I didn't already have a lock set, the only thing I could do was buy a whole set for $40.

Nice locks, I just don't understand why it has to stick out so much further than the standard lug nuts!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys will laugh at me, but I'll tell you anyway. I have a set of the Mopar ones (made by McGuard) that I got with the jeep. They ended up being a pain when tires are changed or rotated etc., so I took them off. I put 3 of them on the spare tire ......... but I have to keep the key where I can get at it so it's in the console with the other 2 locking lugs and the lugnuts that came off the spare..... That would be really hard for someone to find, right?

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone can just take the spare, just screw off the bolts on tire carrier, off you go. :D

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Dave said:
You guys will laugh at me, but I'll tell you anyway. I have a set of the Mopar ones (made by McGuard) that I got with the jeep. They ended up being a pain when tires are changed or rotated etc., so I took them off. I put 3 of them on the spare tire ......... but I have to keep the key where I can get at it so it's in the console with the other 2 locking lugs and the lugnuts that came off the spare..... That would be really hard for someone to find, right?

Dave
I actually keep my key where nobody will look for it...........

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
I actually keep my key where nobody will look for it...........

8-[ =D>

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are saying that crooks are considerate enough to look for the key instead of trying to drive away with the jeep, once they get in the cabin. \:D/

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
So you are saying that crooks are considerate enough to look for the key instead of trying to drive away with the jeep, once they get in the cabin. \:D/

Heh, the people who stole my Jeep had the key to the locking lugs, and didn't steal it. *shrug*

But like my post said originally, I pretty much had to buy the whole set no knowing the code for the key, so it wasn't like I had all that much of a choice.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And when the dealer went to get it off, they obviously found the matching key and should have given you the code. Then you could have ordered a new key from McGard. I know you did not want to, but that still would have worked.

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
McGard does not currently sell sets of 5, but they make the sets for JEEP. Chris Nikel Off Road in Tulsa sold me two matched sets of four for $20. That way I ended up with two keys and spare locking nuts. I also used 3 locking lugs on the spare and anti-theft bolts on the spare tire carrier since it can be removed from the tailgate with cresent wrench.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the set months ago and have had it in the tire shop for rotation a couple times. I ensure that they get the key and tell them locked lugs all around. I think they hate that but I don't care. The only problem is them using an impact gun to strip the shield off the standard lug nuts. Now I have a few lug nuts that have the shield missing and it looked ridiculous. GRRRRRRR....

I have placed the locking lug on the spare. I used the extra lug nuts and replaced the lug nuts without the shields.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you all send the registration card? I did mine, just to be on safe side.. i have to find where I keep my piece of papers, though.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also lock the spare, and for both Jeeps, and I ordered an extra key. I keep one hidden in each Jeep, and one in my tool box in the garage. Now you know... LOL

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No locks on mine, my dad has a nut busting tool at his shop, and if anybody else has one, I can get a lock off without a key faster then unscrewing it, so I don't think its really worth the time, and like somebody else said, you can just unscrew the bracket off the tailgate and be gone with it. Maybe if I lived in the city and my jeep sat away from my home for long periods of time, then maybe I would have them, but probably not.

just my 2 cents

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have wheel locks on all 5 of my tires....yeah, It can be a pain if you forget to tell them you have wheel locks when they rotate your tires....I also have the "tamper proof" bolts so they don't just take off with the whole unit itself, especially since in the summer months I have my mopar bike rack on my libby frequently. I find that you need to carry the lock key with you wherever you go, because how are you going to change a flat tire without the key?

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Jeep came from the dealer with a lock on the spare from new, I thought that's how they were supplied, maybe just that dealer.
I bought a set of 4 for the rest, so I have two different keys.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the 5-pack from the dealer, haven't decided yet if I'm going to lock all 5 or just the spare, but where I have to park at work, I am definitely worried about the spare. (It is a REVO and all...!)

I also picked up a "tamper-proof" nut for the spare tire bracket from a guy on E-Bay, as well as a set of two "hole filler" lug nuts for the spare... couldn't resist!

Dave