Lighter Socket Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toymanjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My lighter socket is powered all of the time. Is there an easy way to change it to only power up when the key is turned on ?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possible? yes, easy, no. Most professional way would be to pull the fuse block, clip and rewire feed from keyed source. From my brief glance at the interior fuse block,,, MAJOR FUBAR!

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Non Profesional and not recomended... sure! Just need a relay that is triggered by a power source that is only on with the key such as the radio.

Cpt Marvel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not questioning your judgement, but I'm just wondering why it matters. If there is nothing plugged into it, the circuit isn't complete so it's not using power. If it's a U.S. car, unless it's quite old, it's not a cig lighter anyway. It's an aux power outlet. I'd love to have power to those with key off.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rewired the center consul power outlet in my Ford Edge to power on with the ignition. It's the only way I could get my standalone bluetooth system to auto pair with my phone each time I reentered my vehicle. I just wired it to a switched fuse and added an inline fuse.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a little thought, wouldn't it just be simpler to add another one in a different location and power it however you please?

Bob

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a little thought, wouldn't it just be simpler to add another one in a different location and power it however you please?

Bob

^^^^^ That ^^^^^

There are several switched power sources that could be tapped in to in the fuse block or use an add-a-fuse to get what you want.

I've seen several posts around the interweb that have second and even third aux outlets mounted in the cabin of the KJ.

Bob

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ That ^^^^^

There are several switched power sources that could be tapped in to in the fuse block or use an add-a-fuse to get what you want.

I've seen several posts around the interweb that have second and even third aux outlets mounted in the cabin of the KJ.

Bob

Actually did that with my dash cam wiring. Tapped into the stereo with an add-a-circuit, it was stupid simple.

Then I cut the cigarette lighter off and wired up a dual USB power port.