Light problems, HELP! =(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckphreak

Reaction score
The light below my shifter doesn't turn on (the one that shows P/R/N/D/2/1). At first I thought it was maybe a fuse, but then it turns on sometimes, even tho it's rare. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probally a short in the wiring,you'd need to take the center console apart and look.Sicne you have a '06 KJ you should have the OEM warrenty if your under 36,000 miles,if you do take it to the dealer to fix.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the intermittent issue, but I had to replace the bulb in mine a few months ago and it was a MAJOR pain to get at it, and all for a little itty-bitty bulb :mad: Be nice if they at least made it more accessible, but I guess it goes together just fine at the factory :rolleyes:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the intermittent issue, but I had to replace the bulb in mine a few months ago and it was a MAJOR pain to get at it, and all for a little itty-bitty bulb :mad: Be nice if they at least made it more accessible, but I guess it goes together just fine at the factory :rolleyes:

I think that all interior lights should be LED's by now. Last longer, don't heat up. I don't know why (cost?) they don't do this. I don't think LED's cost any more now, heck, I think they are cheaper than traditional bulbs a lot of the time.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I think that all interior lights should be LED's by now. Last longer, don't heat up. I don't know why (cost?) they don't do this. I don't think LED's cost any more now, heck, I think they are cheaper than traditional bulbs a lot of the time.

Good point!
I just picked up a pack of 6 L.E.D.'s which I am going to mount into the cup holders so I can see where to put my beer at night! :)
J/K about the beer!

duckphreak

Reaction score
I guess I'll have to take the center console apart this weekend and see what's going on. I don't think the bulb's blown, since it turns on sometimes. Anyone know how much something like this might cost at the dealership? Mine's no longer under warranty.

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to take the center console apart this weekend and see what's going on. I don't think the bulb's blown, since it turns on sometimes. Anyone know how much something like this might cost at the dealership? Mine's no longer under warranty.

When you get in there, replace the bulb whether is seems bad or not. A few months ago I spent a lot of time messing with an intermittent bulb. Turned out the bulb filament was broken, but made contact most of the time. I finally found it by flicking the bulb with my finger and watching the filament vibrate.
Lewis

RTam

Reaction score
Any "How-To" suggestions on taking the shifter console apart? I have the same problem as well.
Thanks.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point!
I just picked up a pack of 6 L.E.D.'s which I am going to mount into the cup holders so I can see where to put my beer at night! :)
J/K about the beer!

sounds like a great idea i'm alway's fumbling to find the cup holder at night.
you will have to post pics when your done:party52:

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any "How-To" suggestions on taking the shifter console apart? I have the same problem as well.
Thanks.

It's fairly easy: Pry the plastic bezel that surrounds the shifter off and it's pretty open in there after that. If needed, you can remove that whole piece by undoing the screws in the console, to the right of the shifter, and the other is under the little leather boot thing of the 4WD shifter. I dunno if they are all the same size or even what size but one of mine was stripped when I looked in there before so just make sure you have the right size. Make sure if you take that whole piece out that you disconnect your window switches. My cords were all fairly short for the window switches so forgetting and giving it a good tug could be bad. You shouldn't need to take the whole console out though - I'd imagine just taking the bezel off gives ample access to reach the bulb otherwise that'd be one PITA.

I didn't look around too much beyond that (I was cleaning :D) so as to the actual location of the bulb and how to get to it, I'm unsure.

EDIT: I checked the Haynes manual but I don't see anything for replacing that bulb.

Last edited:

LI_KJ

Reaction score
The center bezel just pops apart using a flat head screw driver you can get at the bulb. might have to move the shifter back toward 2nd gear when the key is in ignition. Once you clear all the plastic, you can see the small bulb which looks to be impossible to get at. I used a cotton q-tip lightly soaked with crazy glue. Place the crazy glued cotton swab end onto the bulb, let it dry slightly. Don't let the glue run down into the bulbs socket. Then when the glue is dried, you can simply pull up on the q-tip with bulb attached. Replace the bulb carefully taking care not to bend the two copper prongs that slip into the socket. And replace the plastic, and shifter bezel in reverse. Really easy to do, takes about 15 mins total.
My shifter light was intermittent too, until it finally blew. The filaments were broken and only making contact sometimes, which caused the flicker in the bulb.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point!
J/K about the beer!

My 2010 Patriot has lights in the cup holders, it's one of the only things I like about the Pat.

Let us know if you're able to fab something up for the Libby's cupholders and while you're at it see if you can fashion up a coffee warmer. Not all of us drink beer behind the wheel.