Lifting my 06 Libby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mercenary

Reaction score
Hey folks. Im new here so go easy on me :)

I own a 2006 Liberty Sport. We've had it for 3 years now and I just love it. I like to explore and I've rattled the under carriage off stumps and rocks enough now to realize that a lift kit is in order.

So....what I'd like to end up with is a comfortable lift that will clear 31 inch tires easily. That said....are 33's out of the realm of possibility without upgrading the stock CV axles? I'm looking at JBA components but there doesn't seem to be a complete kit....it all looks pieced together.....is there a complete kit that has everything I need?

Money isn't 'really' an issue. I'm not looking to build a ******** rock crawler but I don't mind spending the coin to get high quality components. If the higher end components makes my Jeep more reliable off road then I'm gonna get it.

Any thoughts as to which way to go here?

EDIT: So I found the complete JBA suspension kits on the website of all places....who put that there? So now its down to the 2.5 lift or the 4 inch lift. To clear 31's will the 2.5 do? To clear 33's...will the 4 inch do?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I own a 2006 Liberty Sport. We've had it for 3 years now and I just love it. I like to explore and I've rattled the under carriage off stumps and rocks enough now to realize that a lift kit is in order.

So....what I'd like to end up with is a comfortable lift that will clear 31 inch tires easily. That said....are 33's out of the realm of possibility without upgrading the stock CV axles? I'm looking at JBA components but there doesn't seem to be a complete kit....it all looks pieced together.....is there a complete kit that has everything I need?

Money isn't 'really' an issue. I'm not looking to build a ******** rock crawler but I don't mind spending the coin to get high quality components. If the higher end components makes my Jeep more reliable off road then I'm gonna get it.

EDIT: So I found the complete JBA suspension kits on the website of all places....who put that there? So now its down to the 2.5 lift or the 4 inch lift. To clear 31's will the 2.5 do? To clear 33's...will the 4 inch do?

33s, forget them right off unless you want to replace the front diff to run lower than 4.10s, then need 6 inches of lift etc
IF one would read on here and LOSTJEEPs its all spelled out what works/ what doesn't etc
OME and Ironman both make full kits
ironman gives 2.25 with the HD kit, OME gives 2.5 with the 927/948 combo. Have ran them both on mine. If you want more of course its as easy as a clevis or top plate for extra lift
Above 3 inches you'll need the JBA UCAs, best there is
IF you want the best ride there is, go for the JBA adjustable coilover lift, 100 times better than new stock ever was . Been running it on my black one and leaning that way on my next build on my 03 I just picked up
But 245-75-16 tires, 3 inches of lift and good to go
on down the road throw 4.10s in and really be good

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Best thing though again is to read read read
When I bought my 2004 new thats all I did for a month and back then you were very limited as far as what could be done and everyone thought 2.5 inches was max height
But read, THEN ask questions

Lot of the lifts I have installed for others have never spent much time off road, but they wanted a better ride and handling on road.
Which they got from ungraded suspension like JBA, OME and Ironman
Other lifts out there but those are the only ones I'll install , want people driving away smiling, not frowning

Last edited:

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm in the process of going to 31s, did bilstein front strut, long travel ome rear shock, ome springs all around, love the ride its amazing compared to stock, next step is cragar soft 8s 15x7 w 4" back spacing and 31x10.50 c load muds

If you put long travels in the rear don't forget to drop the brake line manifolds, there's writeups on all of this here and on lostjeeps

Have fun and post pics when you finish!

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As has been stated, read and then read some more. Relocating the brake line on the rear isn't hard at all. You can either buy the piece already made or make it yourself. Tom is right about the JBA adjustable coil-overs. They ride very nicely and adjusting them is easy.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny. I didn't have to relocate my rear brake lines. Of course I haven't really FULLY flexed the suspension yet. I should get a jack under there and make sure it doesn't rip it off...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny. I didn't have to relocate my rear brake lines. Of course I haven't really FULLY flexed the suspension yet. I should get a jack under there and make sure it doesn't rip it off...

You have an 04, later models had a somewhat different setup on the rear brakelines. So there is a difference.
Take me all of 3 -4 minutes to make a bracket to relocate the brakeline on later models, not a huge deal at all

Of course a lot of people don't have in their signature what year etc they have so hard to tell if they need to or not

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have an 04, later models had a somewhat different setup on the rear brakelines. So there is a difference.
Take me all of 3 -4 minutes to make a bracket to relocate the brakeline on later models, not a huge deal at all

Of course a lot of people don't have in their signature what year etc they have so hard to tell if they need to or not

I noticed my biggest problem was when i dropped off the try link and the shocks, the soft line leading to the axle was a bit too short at times. But I'm not quite sure I can droop the left side of the axle THAT much.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed my biggest problem was when i dropped off the try link and the shocks, the soft line leading to the axle was a bit too short at times. But I'm not quite sure I can droop the left side of the axle THAT much.

Well if installing even longer rear shocks then yes you'll need longer brakelines or modify. With my 04 shocks limit the amount of flex so no way it would do anything to the brakeline.
I have had a set of longer stainless/ braided rear lines laying in the garage for 4 years, may stick them on the Ole Green 03 when I lift it just for extra precaution.