Lift trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeK

Reaction score
Been trying to install my frankenlift and I finally got the first corner almost put back together.but I cannot tighten the but on the upper arm, the ball just spins.
Any ideas on how to get it to tighten?
I have tried using 2 ratchet straps and a pry bar to apply downward force and it still spins. The nut is stuck halfway onto the end and I am at the point where I am about to cut the nut off and buy a new upper arm...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On stock uppers use a boxend on the nut but use a 6point socket on the end of the ball joint stud to hold it. I think its 10mm this schould keep it from turning.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also c clamp the a arm to the upper knuckle, a bit tricky but I have done it.
Try to stay calm it will help and try these two ways or both at the same time.
Oh and they do have nut cutters so you dont have to trash the arm to remove the nut.

RenegadeK

Reaction score
The nut isn't on far enough to get the socket on to the end, I will try clamping though.

My05Kj

Reaction score
Dont cut it, I had the same problem while installing my kit. We used a set of cannon plug pliers (like rubber capped channel locks) to hold the tapered portion of the shank while slowly tightening the nut. Just tighten it far enough to get the 10mm 6point on there. If you must Im sure you could use channel locks, but be sure to protect the shank as best you can-

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a deep well scoket it will fit inside the nut and a box wrench on the nut.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talking from lots of experience here you need a LOT of pressure
pushing down on the upper control arm for the nut to move. A
trick is to heat the nut up, not cherry hot just enough to say melt
plastic. These nuts have polyurethane near the end of the nut
which prevent loosening over time from vibration. But the
polyurethane will sometimes prevent you from getting the nut
back on. So heating it up will soften the polyurethane and allow
the nut to be tightened. I just did a lift on my jeep a week ago
and I literally used a 3' bar and had a friend pretty well standing
on it to tighten up my UCA nuts.

Also if you have the tire off and the LCA is hanging it might be a good idea to place something below the LCA so that it will not be forced down and move while you are applying pressure to the UCA. We used a simple bottle jack to keep the LCA from moving downwards.

Hope that help.

Oh also lube the crap out of it lol!! just use penetrating oil to help you get it back on.

RenegadeK

Reaction score
Finally got it taken care of, threads were damaged on the end of the bolt which in turn damaged threads on the nut as well slightly.

Got to the other side and as I disconnected the sway bar the bushing came apart. So I guess I'm driving with the front disconnected until I get another one in, it's already ordered.

Other than that, front is done and gonna do the rear by tonight hopefully no unforseen troubles.