Lift kit install turmoil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was installing my 927/948 OME today and everything went generally smoothly, except for one of the front struts I asked my wife to put the nut on the top while I compressed the spring a bit. She cross threaded the nut and destroyed the strut. Gotta love mot having any real help. Well while I wait on a new strut I will have to buy is there any way I can run the factory strut for a few days? I don't want to have to rent a car on top of this. Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You could, may handle a little funky since you will have one new and one well worn shock on there
Should be alright for a few days

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could, may handle a little funky since you will have one new and one well worn shock on there
Should be alright for a few days

Ok thanks. Didn't know if the lengths were different.

Would have been so much easier if a local shop would have assembled them for me but nobody would.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got the 927 compressed down enough to get the nut on the strut, but there's absolutely no possible way to get the spring compressor out. Fml... I want to scream at my wife so bad right now.

spideyrdr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't fret, my wife didn't help at all other than making sure she could call 911 if the Jeep fell on me or something. A new strut probably costs a lot less than a divorce ;)

I fought to get the compressor out the the one "tower" I did myself. I used 790 springs too, which might even be fatter, not sure. Turns out just disassembling the compressor was enough to let me pry out the compressor 'fingers'.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As usual my posts were deleted on here (happens constantly on this forum).

I posted a reply saying it was the rear upper control arm bolt towards the rear of the vehicle that was loose. Problem solved, must have always been loose!

Thanks

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go easy on your wife man, it's not her fault you don't have anyone to help your project.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go easy on your wife man, it's not her fault you don't have anyone to help your project.

Really wasn't trying to blame it on her I was just frustrated. Had people that could have helped but wasn't the right weekend I guess because everyone was busy.

I got the new shock in and got it aligned (with no help again) and all is good!