lift install issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Taking a break for a minute while installing my lift. So far besides from snapping off the strut fork bolt everything has come apart easy. Issue I'm having now is getting the new strut bolted up. Got my top bolts started and the clevis on but cannot get the clevis high enough to get the fork bolt through. Did you guys ever need to use the spring compressors just to get the new strut bolted up?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use Rachet straps to pull down the lower control arm to line up the clevis

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Still not even close

Rachet straps will pull it in, always has , get the clevis clear up as far as it will go on the shock. Now with two rachet straps hook one to each leg, opulls them right in with no issues, may have to pry down slightly on the LCA arm but it will go for the bottom to pop in but it works, promise!.
Done bunches using the same technique with help and by myself

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK got that done. Physically could not get it to go even with 2 ratchet straps when I had my top plate spacers in, took the spacers off and finally got it. Now for my next issue. What is the best way of going about reconnecting the upper ball joint? My instructions show use the floor jack and lift the LCA but all that is accomplishing is lifting my jeep off the jack stands

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK got that done. Physically could not get it to go even with 2 ratchet straps when I had my top plate spacers in, took the spacers off and finally got it. Now for my next issue. What is the best way of going about reconnecting the upper ball joint? My instructions show use the floor jack and lift the LCA but all that is accomplishing is lifting my jeep off the jack stands

It would of went with the top plate, all of them we have done were like that. BUT lift up to put pressure on the lower control arm then stick a bar back in the spring and pry down on the UCA, will move the UBJ right into the spindle. Keep pressure on it until you have the nut ran up on quite a ways

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You said spacers... As in more than one. Did you put more than one quarter-inch spacer on top of the shock mount? If so that would make it really tough to get the clevis bolt lined up.

You should have only one quarter-inch spacer on top of the shock, and using the ratchet strap suggestion you should be able to line up that bolt no problem. Did you leave a spacer on top of the shock mount?

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said spacers... As in more than one. Did you put more than one quarter-inch spacer on top of the shock mount? If so that would make it really tough to get the clevis bolt lined up.

You should have only one quarter-inch spacer on top of the shock, and using the ratchet strap suggestion you should be able to line up that bolt no problem. Did you leave a spacer on top of the shock mount?

Bob

One on each side = spacers. At least, sure hope one each is what he was trying to do! ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I assumed he meant one per side but then we all know what assume means when doing anything.
Also thought while eating how much clevis he used .....
maybe he'll report back soon
:shrug:

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Single spacer on each side from jba. Plus 3/8" on clevis. I got the drivers side done now starting on passenger side. All tore down now time for a quick bite to eat then install the new strut on the passenger side. Drivers side for some reason was rust city and nothing wanted to come apart. Passenger side came apart with no broken bolts or any other issue

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up not using the top plates. Currently sitting at 22.625" up front. Gonna tackle the rear suspension in the morning. Passenger side was a cake walk compared to the driver side.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ended up not using the top plates. Currently sitting at 22.625" up front. Gonna tackle the rear suspension in the morning. Passenger side was a cake walk compared to the driver side.

After its done straight to an alignment and that will drop it 1/4 to 1/2 inch at least
Almost everyone we did was top plate/ 3/8 clevis etc ( the normal ) and after alignment and break in they all settled in about 22.25-22.50

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is with that BDS lift I picked up cheap. I've been driving about the last 2 weeks on stock suspension with my new tires and it has been interesting. Had maybe a credit card thickness of clearance on my front bumper.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats right forgot you got that BDS, well should have plenty of room since they normally don't give as much lift as the OMEs...
So no huge bumps at 80 MPH and the new tires ? :shrug::icon_lol:

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No big bumps at all. I still can't get over how well the new tires do though.

Latest posts

Members online