Lift and wheel help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acrzjeeper

Reaction score
I pieced out buying a lift for my newly purchased KJ so here's what I got:
OME MD Rear Springs
OME MD Front Springs
Bilstein Front Strut/Shock
Bilstein Rear 2.5" shock JBA
Shock Fitting Kit JBA for Rear Shock
Daystar 2" front bump stops

The question is am I missing anything? Also I went with OME MD because I don't ever plan on towing anything or getting aftermarket bumpers or anything like that.

The question about wheels pertains to some wheels that I bought. They are Vision 375 Warrior wheels. (Vision 375 Warrior Wheels #1 Best Price + Reviews)

They are 16x8 and I can't for the life of me find what tires will fit perfectly with the size of the wheels and the lift on the jeep. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Just bought her 2 weeks ago. She's only got 99k miles on her.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I pieced out buying a lift for my newly purchased KJ so here's what I got:
OME MD Rear Springs
OME MD Front Springs
Bilstein Front Strut/Shock
Bilstein Rear 2.5" shock JBA
Shock Fitting Kit JBA for Rear Shock
Daystar 2" front bump stops

The question is am I missing anything? Also I went with OME MD because I don't ever plan on towing anything or getting aftermarket bumpers or anything like that.

The question about wheels pertains to some wheels that I bought. They are Vision 375 Warrior wheels. (Vision 375 Warrior Wheels #1 Best Price + Reviews)

They are 16x8 and I can't for the life of me find what tires will fit perfectly with the size of the wheels and the lift on the jeep. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Just bought her 2 weeks ago. She's only got 99k miles on her.

Personally wouldn't go mediums, but your choice, installed a ton of KJ lifts here and never used mediums. (927s/948s ride and handle great
Daystar bumpstops ?? Teraflex is what you need for the front and two hockey pucks per side bolted down in the rear work there
Many many pots on what tire size in the tire section
with that wide of a wheel ( 7 inch is more desirable) 255-70-16s or 265-70-16s
Are you only doing springs, nothing else like top plate or clevis? If so you'll need to stick to the 255-70-16s

BEFORE you buy PLEASE check the backspacing on those wheels, 5 inch is preferred and works best any thing else like 4 inches etc will cause extra issues with rubbing
You like those wheels? Just curious
Hope you didn't already buy them

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like backspacing here is closer to 4.5". With that wide of a wheel, you should look for something around the 5" mark (so it only sits out of the fender 1" more and not a full 1.5").

This is ESPECIALLY true if you are not running top plates or extra insulators for more lift front and back.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I ran mediums for about 70k miles. I loved the ride and it flexed great, I thought it flexed better than having the HD springs, especially if you don't have a winch or steel bumpers. I have HD ones now, only because I have a winch now.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like backspacing here is closer to 4.5". With that wide of a wheel, you should look for something around the 5" mark (so it only sits out of the fender 1" more and not a full 1.5").

This is ESPECIALLY true if you are not running top plates or extra insulators for more lift front and back.

Most of those wheels are 4 or 4.5 , not many good wheels in those fancy wheel designs for the KJs :icon_lol:

acrzjeeper

Reaction score
Personally wouldn't go mediums, but your choice, installed a ton of KJ lifts here and never used mediums. (927s/948s ride and handle great
Daystar bumpstops ?? Teraflex is what you need for the front and two hockey pucks per side bolted down in the rear work there
Many many pots on what tire size in the tire section
with that wide of a wheel ( 7 inch is more desirable) 255-70-16s or 265-70-16s
Are you only doing springs, nothing else like top plate or clevis? If so you'll need to stick to the 255-70-16s

BEFORE you buy PLEASE check the backspacing on those wheels, 5 inch is preferred and works best any thing else like 4 inches etc will cause extra issues with rubbing
You like those wheels? Just curious
Hope you didn't already buy them

I did already purchase the wheels and I do personally like the look of the wheels. These one say that the backspacing is 4.5". I was planning on only doing springs and shocks but I can add top plate if needed. If I do top plate, how many do I need to add to the front/rear? Is the only benefit to top plates that it lifts it even more and provides clearance to the tire? Also if I do top plate do I need A-arms?

Also I cancelled the Daystar bumpstops and purchased the terraflex instead. So I'll do that with 2 hockey pucks in the rear.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm pretty new to all of this.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to have issues with rubbing, stuffing the wheel up in the fenderwells and tires/ wheels will sit outside the wheelwells by an inch or more
With 8 inch wheel 5 inches of backspacing works the best

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I did already purchase the wheels and I do personally like the look of the wheels. These one say that the backspacing is 4.5". I was planning on only doing springs and shocks but I can add top plate if needed. If I do top plate, how many do I need to add to the front/rear? Is the only benefit to top plates that it lifts it even more and provides clearance to the tire? Also if I do top plate do I need A-arms?

Also I cancelled the Daystar bumpstops and purchased the terraflex instead. So I'll do that with 2 hockey pucks in the rear.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm pretty new to all of this.

With OME springs ( if going 927s in front you will get 2.5 inches of lift over new stock height ( so will be at 21.5 middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare.
Now with the 926s you will get less height due to lower spring rate . Adding a top plate of 1/4 inch thick will give you 1/2 inch of lift.
You can get by with stock UCAs up to around 3 inches of lift
NOW your issue or one of them due to the wheel size and amount of lift you will get is what tires, too small of a tire and you'll have a 7 inch wide tread on a 8 inch wide wheel, which is not always good. So you need to at least get enough lift to clear a 255-70-16 ( at least) And with that backspacing going even higher would help somewhat .
So wheel width/ backspacing is an issue depending on height and tore size and what brand etc

Will have to do the pinch welds as well for sure

Last edited:

acrzjeeper

Reaction score
With OME springs ( if going 927s in front you will get 2.5 inches of lift over new stock height ( so will be at 21.5 middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare.
Now with the 926s you will get less height due to lower spring rate . Adding a top plate of 1/4 inch thick will give you 1/2 inch of lift.
You can get by with stock UCAs up to around 3 inches of lift
NOW your issue or one of them due to the wheel size and amount of lift you will get is what tires, too small of a tire and you'll have a 7 inch wide tread on a 8 inch wide wheel, which is not always good. So you need to at least get enough lift to clear a 255-70-16 ( at least) And with that backspacing going even higher would help somewhat .
So wheel width/ backspacing is an issue depending on height and tore size and what brand etc

Will have to do the pinch welds as well for sure

I'm putting in a new order for JBA because my Bilstein struts with another site are going to take a month to arrive. Here is what I have for the 2nd order with them.

Teraflex front bumpstops X2
Bilstein front struts heavy duty
JBA Front Strut Spacer set 1/4"
Do I need to get more upper/lower isolators for the rear or front?
Also are there any good rear bumpstops to purchase instead of hockeypucks?

I also decided to go with moab style wheel. I couldn't find any Jeep moab wheels online so I went with Quadratec moab wheels. (I know they are cast not forged. That's ok for me.) So the size for wheels are now 16X8 with 5" of backspacing. Do I still need to go with tire size 255-70-16 or 265-70-16?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm putting in a new order for JBA because my Bilstein struts with another site are going to take a month to arrive. Here is what I have for the 2nd order with them.

Teraflex front bumpstops X2
Bilstein front struts heavy duty
JBA Front Strut Spacer set 1/4"
Do I need to get more upper/lower isolators for the rear or front?
Also are there any good rear bumpstops to purchase instead of hockeypucks?

Thanks again.

No you reuse the iso's in the front, also if not lifting any more and using medium duty springs doubt if you will need anything for the rear
JBA has bumpstops that bolt down as well, cut to fit. price them , then price out 4 hockey pucks :icon_lol: