Liberty Thermostat Location/Change ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you cant use rtv sealant?

Not in that application. Any loose rtv floating around will not help anything.

An old trick with a flange type thermostat housing was to make the gasket with the cardboard that the thermostat came packed in. Tighten it down, once the water hit the paper it would swell up and seal nicely. You want a shirt box type cardboard, not corrugate. I have made water pump gaskets the same way.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive this old thread...but the thermostat goes in with the spring side towards the engine block, correct?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently it does!

Yes it does and will obviously operate backwards if installed backwards. In other words, it will close down coolant flow when the engine gets warmer and vice versa.

Yes, the "cone" goes into the block.

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To know how a thermostat is made helps to understand what can happen. Inside that copper cylinder on the spring side is a wax pellet. It's formulated to melt at a given temperature (the stats rating). When the wax melts, the piston and spring assembly is allowed to move, opening the stat. Installing the thermostat upside down, if it fits that way, puts the wax further away from the immediate heat source. So, if upside down, the stat will still eventually open, but will open late, causing the engine to run too hot/overheat. That is all that will happen.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... So, if upside down, the stat will still eventually open, but will open late, causing the engine to run too hot/overheat. That is all that will happen.

But as we know, this engine greatly dislikes being overheated. Dropped valve seats on the #2 cylinder are one of the other things "...that will happen."

Hot=Bad on a 3.7.

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, wasn't downplaying the ill effects of an overheating engine, NO engine likes to overheat. As the question has risen before after someone installs their thermostat..."oops, I didn't know there was a right or wrong way". My point was, how to tell without taking it back apart? If the engine temperature is operating within the normal range, you're ok. If the engine is running too hot or even overheating, then yeah you probably have it in upside down.

RynoMcM

Reaction score
Not sure why people are saying the seal isn't included. On the Autozone & Napa website it says seal is included.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why people are saying the seal isn't included. On the Autozone & Napa website it says seal is included.

Wouldn't know about vAutozone. I refuse to acknowledge their existence! lol. Last one I saw from a parts store of decent quality, had the rubber seal with it, installed actually on the t-stat with the indexing mark. The t-stat must be oriented in the correct position. I'm not talking putting it in backwards, I'm talking about the air bleeder on it.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one from the dealership sitting here. Funny thing is that the dealership told me to use RTV. And I was like "No..." then he's like "Oh look the gasket is on it already."