Liberty smoking on start up! PLEASE HELP! :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I went to start my Libby to get ready for work, and it starts smoking as soon I put it into reverse to get out of my drive way! I turn it off ASAP and see that it's smoking, and there's a little muffler shaped tube like piece at the bottom of the engine bay that seems to have oil around the ring, and there's a dripplet of oil on my driveway. Anyone know what it could be? I'm freaking out!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is the oil? I wouldn't say anything looks like a muffler in the engine bay so I have no clue.
Where's the oil? Passenger side, front, driver side? Be a little more descriptive.
Can you take a pic and draw an arrow or circle where you see the oil?

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is the oil? I wouldn't say anything looks like a muffler in the engine bay so I have no clue.
Where's the oil? Passenger side, front, driver side? Be a little more descriptive.
Can you take a pic and draw an arrow or circle where you see the oil?

Passenger side, all the way down. It's on a tube like thing, a part that connects the tube to the bottom has oil on the seal. Maybe muffler was the wrong choice of words.

I don't have paint, so I can't draw an arrow, but it's that part all the way on the bottom, straight down in the middle! The circular type part.
You must be registered for see images

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't freak out about it. as long as you don't hear anything weird such as clinking and banging its ok. First look everywhere above that part. It could be seeping down from above.

also, get light on what you want to take a pic of, also getting some light in there may help you see what it is better.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't freak out about it. as long as you don't hear anything weird such as clinking and banging its ok. First look everywhere above that part. It could be seeping down from above.

also, get light on what you want to take a pic of, also getting some light in there may help you see what it is better.

I'll post some more pics in a min, thank you btw.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...across from the UCA tie in is the header, the part that is silver and looks like a shield, is a heat shield. That spot? It could be several things there, above it is the coolant reservoir, it might have a slight leak or one of the hoses above that. Perhaps even a head gasket leak, maybe.

From the pic the reservoir bottom tube looks ok...so does the hose. Perhaps the hose that is more towards the engine that goes from the coolant. The sun is shinny there so I can not tell the condition of the hose there.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cylinder shaped thing under the exhaust manifold looks to be the pre-catalytic converter judging by the pic. If thats what Im looking at, basically its another cat. converter. It gets hot, and quick, so if you have an oil leak, it will smoke. Question is, where is the oil leak coming from?