Liberty power down problem please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

help

Reaction score
Help! On three occasions my jeep has powered down while driving. It starts with the steering wheel shaking. Then the brakes feel stiff. Then you hit the gas and it wont go over 20mph. There is also a nasty smell. Finally it dies. Had it towed all three times. Transmission checks out fine. Oil sensor was replaced after a computer check showed a problem. Car at new mechanics now. They say no current computer problem. Test drive went fine. I need brakes and calipers. The jeep may be fine for a day or two and then power down again. If anyone has any ideas please help....I'm desparate...I've used my last tow until July 1 with AAA. Much thanks to any replies.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed, does the problem worsen when you are driving on a highway? or city driving (stop and go).

jramey

Reaction score
Catalytic converter, mine did the same thing, its clogged and needs replaced. There's an emission warranty for up to 60-65 thousand miles got mine done for free at the dealership

help

Reaction score
thanks so much for the suggestion of catalytic converter. i'll call the mechanic in the morning. the first time it happened i was on the highway, the next two times was back roads (about 40mph zones). all three times it took about 5 minutes to go from shaky wheel to slow down to stop. i hope this works. the jeep has 102k on it. i love it but i need it to be more reliable.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks so much for the suggestion of catalytic converter. i'll call the mechanic in the morning. the first time it happened i was on the highway, the next two times was back roads (about 40mph zones). all three times it took about 5 minutes to go from shaky wheel to slow down to stop. i hope this works. the jeep has 102k on it. i love it but i need it to be more reliable.
If it's only happened 3 times,as in not happening all the time,it's not your cat's.The cat's are either good or bad,not really a in-between or works sometimes.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would a catalytic converter make your steering wheel shake Mr. J. Thompson? Hmmmm. You were quick enough to have a go at me a couple of weeks ago (Where you ended up being wrong) so just returning the compliment. I wonder how you are going to wriggle out of this one? :happy175: My guess would be a brake pad seized somewhere and getting hotter and hotter which would give you your smell and then eventually slowing the jeep to a stop and giving a wooden brake feel due to brake fade. Left for a while it would cool down and things would appear ok for a while and then the whole cycle would start all over again. Just a thought. :smokin: