LIBERTY PART TIME LIGHT (stays on out of 4wheel drive)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMOB

Reaction score
LIBERTY PART TIME LIGHT (stays on out of 4wheel drive)
I just replaced the switch that causes this. switch cost $84.95 including tax.

Dealer quote ;Labor $275 to $350 ,when I asked why so much they said well you have to pull transmission out to replace it.

Start with the cover on 4wheel shifter use an old but smooth butter knife start it vertical between plastic and cover tilt knife down ( if it is one from kitchen you should not bend it)This cover has 4 tabs 2 in front ,2 in back. unsnap snap at shifter handle. slide it off You may have to put in 4 wheel low to remove this. Do the same with shift cover P n R drive. When you get this cover free from 2 tabs in front 2 in the rear maybe 2 in the middle. Lift cover with trans in drive or low with EM BRAKE ON over shifter rotate gently and remove the three silver screws from light switch. Set cover aside lift out drink holder rubber liner, remove three screws holding Jockey box lid. Remove two screws in front of the box and two in the bottom towards the rear.
Get in the back seat using bitter knife carefully remove plate around rear window switches. On the top of the rear switch are two square holes same on bottom of switch ,use the butter knife again slide it between switch and trim ,I found do the right top and bottom with a little finger pressure, then the left. it will slide out of plastic trim. On the console were you removed trim undo screw on the right and left this will remove metal H shape piece of metal.
Back to front seat remove screw at the front of 4wheel drive shifter, Same with the one on the right side of PNDL shifter reach to the rear of console and feed rear window switches in side console . Pull up EM brake handle to what you feel is max , put drive shifter in low ,put 4wheel shifter in 4 low. Raise rear of console up carefully when it clears park brake you have it made . Be careful not to damage front window switches .Set console aside.
There are 4 nuts holding down 4wheel shifter remove front one first put shifter in 2 wheel position , now remove the other three nuts. using screw driver flat blade separate shifter platform from floor rear first. Lift it up enough to rotate the rear clockwise ,place rag between shifter base and seat.

look in hole in floor with flash light ,you will see your switch. To remove wire from switch (one side is round the opposite is flat) press or squeeze top of flat side, while doing this pull up on wire.
This step is not easy.

Get old tooth brush and brush around switch, Using straw or small hose blow off the grit.
Using 1 1/2 inch socket with 10 inch extension turn counter clock wise just enough the switch can be remove by hand. when you unscrew the switch it will lift all on its own.
remove the rubber O ring with ice pick carefully .Dealer do not stock this item( special order only)
Place on new switch apply pressure as you start switch by hand tighten ,replace wire and reassemble. in reverse order , don't try to short cut it
The most difficult thing was putting jockey box door on .Use Ice pick to align the holes.

Now Keep in mind before you start I am 65 years old with little or no use of thumb and index finger on right hand. and I am right handed . This took me 3 hours including driving one hour to get the part . NO POWER TOOLS AT ALL and I suggest you not use them.
with this information 1 1/2 hours should be about right if you start after you have switch

I hope this will help anyone out there that has this problem.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, Thanks
Good write up
think theres one or two already posted but you did a good job

Latest posts

Members online