Liberty Parking Brake (E-brake) Cable Rub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trout

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know its been a long time since my last post, but I haven't had any problems to share here (until now). I don't post unless I have something useful that hasn't been posted here in the past.

Anyways, I am not a liberty owner, but my wife is. She began to notice a strange sound coming from the rear (but can almost seem like the front, I'll explain later.) Its a noice that sounds something like a flute at least in the same frequency (the instrument) sound coming when she would hit bumps in the road (at a wide varitey of speeds from 5-MPH up to 60MPH. ) She would also notice it when she would be at a stop sign, and do the appropriate stop (where the car "rolls back).

Anyhow I found this sound by having an assistant push down on the rear bumper, constantly. After enough spraying with WD-40, and poking around, it turned out that it was the steel wire clips that hold the parking brake (or e-brake) cable below the floor panels and above the differential casing on the Liberty. The way that these are connected to the body cause the hoolow body of the jeep to "acoustically" amplify the sound inside the vehicle and make it decieving to hear wear it is coming from. At first, I thought this problem was the brakes, or the suspension, but it turned out that it was just this dang little wire clip causing this issue.

So how did I fix it? Yes, I fixed it with a hammer. I bent the clip slightly (don't clobber the thing like a mad fool), just hit it a little, to bend it so it is not clipping the e-brake cable so tightly. It will still have a secure hold on the cable, it just is like loosening the stirng on a guitar slightly. When it is fixed, your assitant will be pushing on the car and you will no longer hear this squeaky issue.

Obviously there are other methods to fix this, or be Mr. GQ, but I just wanted the cheap, quick, and honest fix. I could easily be Mr. GQ, buy some new strap at the hardware store and install it, but I'd rather just test out the method I took, and see how it works. I hear that this is a very common issue with liberty's.

I hope that I am not reposting, or beating a dead horse. I searched the forums, and I couldn't find anything. If I am commiting such an offense, I apologize for my worthlessness in advance. :)

trout

Reaction score

I can't take a picture right now, because I wrote that on my dang coffee brake at work.

The description is good, as the parking brake cables are very easy to see under the liberty's. If you follow them from the rear discs back near to an area just in front of the differential your sure to see the steal clips I am talkin about. These are very easy to see.

I'll get some pictures up soon. :)

trout

Reaction score
The pics

Sorry I couldn't get these dang pics up sooner, but it was so hot on my drive home I had to have a couple cold ones to cool off.

Here are the pics, and I highlighted the dang problem areas in red.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 39
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 36
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 35
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 34

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
thanks for the pics, this is on a KJ though not a KK so you got it in the wrong section. its all good though i just wanted to know where the noise is coming from cause mine kinda does the same thing. like you said sounds like the front but cant pin point it.