Liberty may be up a creek without a belt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
javert said:
I seem to recall someone saying that a 3.7 is a 3.7 is a 3.7 and that they are all the same ( all years as well).

...there is a 136 and a 160 alt available for all KJ's...and the 160 is for the renegade, as stated before and above, to help power the light bar.

Slightly OT, but somebody around here put a renegade alternator in their sport/limited. If mine ever dies, i think i'm gonna do that.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Cableguy said:
2003KJ said:
javert said:
I seem to recall someone saying that a 3.7 is a 3.7 is a 3.7 and that they are all the same ( all years as well).

...there is a 136 and a 160 alt available for all KJ's...and the 160 is for the renegade, as stated before and above, to help power the light bar.

Slightly OT, but somebody around here put a renegade alternator in their sport/limited. If mine ever dies, i think i'm gonna do that.
For some reason, I *think* I also have the 160A alternator. Not exactly sure why.

They are easily swappable.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Cableguy said:
2003KJ said:
javert said:

For some reason, I *think* I also have the 160A alternator. Not exactly sure why.

They are easily swappable.

You should confirm that, just out of my morbid curiosity. If its true, it is because your clearly badassed, and DC recognized that when they made your libby. O:)

(and if not, don't worry, you can still be a badass)

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
javert said:
2003KJ said:
We are not attacking your character, we are merely trying to tell you that the information you have is false. The 3.7L is the same on all Liberty's...from the first one that rolled off the line for the 2002 year, to the ones rolling off the line right now. Therefore, if there was an issue on the 2005 3.7L, there would be a problem with ALL of them. Period.

Lets just straighten this out once and for all:

Call a Jeep dealer and ask to buy an alternator for a 2005 Jeep liberty with a 3.7L eng. The will ask you what your vin number is because there are 2 different ones available. Early 05 alts have a one way clutch pulley on it and the other one does not.

the two part numbers are:

Try it for yourself and you'll soon stop making statements about my so called "false information".

Those aren't even part numbers. I could go into about 10 reasons this statement alone from you is complete BS, but it isn't even worth dignifying a troll, even though everyone else here is happy to keep you going for 20 pages.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
...but it isn't even worth dignifying a troll, even though everyone else here is happy to keep you going for 20 pages.

Awww... come on, have fun poking at him like the rest of us.

If arguing on the internet is ********, i should be the gold medal winner of the special olympics.

(sorry if i offended any of you kind folks out there, It's all in good fun.)

javert

Reaction score
the_titan said:
Those aren't even part numbers. I could go into about 10 reasons this statement alone from you is complete BS, but it isn't even worth dignifying a troll, even though everyone else here is happy to keep you going for 20 pages.

Okay Okay, I left the AA off at the end.

I just phoned the dealership and asked to order one of these alternators.

This is what he told me.

If you order the 5170748AA alternator, the number changes up to 53013905 AA and then you must get the new belt as well (belt number 56029914AC).

If you order the other option alternator 5170749 AA , the part number changes up to 56041693 AC you also must order the updated belt (notice the AC designation) 56029914AC. Don't quote me on this but I believe this updated belt is slightly shorter and made of a differnent material.

So....if nothing has changed (with respect to the belt sylstem) why is an updated belt being recommended by the dealer when you buy an alternator (05 model year)?

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
javert said:
So....if nothing has changed (with respect to the belt sylstem) why is an updated belt being recommended by the dealer when you buy an alternator (05 model year)?

Because they found a new compound to make it with, or they changed suppliers, or or or or or. Who knows? There could be about a thousand reasons that DC/Jeep made a slight design change to the belt. That's what the revision lettering is for (AA, AB, AC) The belt may be exactly the same physically, but have a newer, more magical-goodness construction that costs them less. Did you bother to ask if that belt fits all libbys, or is it a specific 05 "First few thousand off the line" belt that you need a vin number to order?

On another note, it's an hour and a half past my already overdue bedtime. have fun arguing it out until i wake up. Should make for some good reading.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They DID change the belt and the belt tensioner. Thats a fact. I dont remember who it was on lost, maybe it was adam(I know hes a teacher), but he was having troubles with his and did some research. They did infact change the length of the belt and the tensioner. Im not to sure what that changed or if it has anything to do with the belt stopping.

There are far to many people on the Lost website that wheel their 05-06 libbys. Ive never seen a post about the engine over heating(water pump not turning) or the power steering cutting out while going through water.

My belt has been making some noise lately when its just idling. No water or anything. It only has 24k on it but its seen some idling when offroading. Nothing out of the ordinary though. 8-[

Ill probably change it at 30k when I do the ****** and tcase. Ill use a gator back. \:D/

Status
Not open for further replies.