Liberty may be up a creek without a belt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Not blasting you here but....

To my knowledge, and 3.7 is a 3.7 is a 3.7. Meaning that the 3.7 should be identical on ALL KJ's (with the exception of a couple of minor details, such as the intake tube redesign). It's the same engine in the 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, and 07 models. It's even with some of the Ram's. So I don't see how this could effect only the 2005 models.

In addition, i've sen some KJ's handle some pretty good water before, and i know i've put mine to the test on a couple of occasions, and not had a single issue out of it.

I also find it hard to believe base on the fact that at the end of the article, it turns into an advertisement for the Goodyear Gatorback belt and tensioner.

Not blasting ya or anything just yet....just stating how it doesn't make any sense at all, from my viewpoint.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This guy is just advertising stuff. He joined minutes before he posted two sequential threads about different products.

javert

Reaction score
Some thing with the accessory drive changed in 05. Some of the Liberty 3.7L engine received a one way clutch on the alternator to help fix this problem. I also believe that they changed belt lengths. I also think they may have changed belt tensioner suppliers. And no, the 3.7 in other applciations is not the same accessory drive. Never the less, I have seen this on an 05 and yes the belt actually stops dead. I could read the part number on the belt! If anyone has an 05 with the 3.7L then try this,

Let the engine warm up to the point where it idles normally,
turn on all the electrical goodies (a/c, rear defroster, headlights etc)
Get some one to turn the steering wheel while you get a hose and wet the belt just above the crank pulley.

You will see the belt stop.

javert

Reaction score
the_titan said:
This guy is just advertising stuff. He joined minutes before he posted two sequential threads about different products.

Have I tried to sell you anything? I have just told you a couple of things I bet you did not know about Libertys. Sorry for giving you some technical knowledge.

2003KJ

Reaction score
ok, now riddle me this. What are the chances that you're going to be fording water with the a/c, rear defroster, headlights, and any other electronic accessory you can think of, on all at the same time?

90% of people don't wheel with the a/c, and if you do going through water that deep, that's not smart to begin with. I also don't really see one needing the rear defroster while on a wheelin trip either.

Of course the belt it gonna stop in the situation you gave, when you put THAT much of a load on it, at idle speed.

javert

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Of course the belt it gonna stop in the situation you gave, when you put THAT much of a load on it, at idle speed.

What kind of statement is that? Try it in any other vehicle and it does not happen. It just goes to show you that Jeep skimped out when they designed the belt system. Your right about people not wheelin in those situations, however, try comming off the highway in a rain storm, sitting on the on ramp and the belt squealing away. Would that concern you then?

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
javert said:
2003KJ said:

What kind of statement is that? Try it in any other vehicle and it does not happen. It just goes to show you that Jeep skimped out when they designed the belt system. Your right about people not wheelin in those situations, however, try comming off the highway in a rain storm, sitting on the on ramp and the belt squealing away. Would that concern you then?

Don't you hate those Noah-like floods awaiting you at the bottom of the offramp... Gets me in the serpentine belt, every time.

2003KJ

Reaction score
javert said:
2003KJ said:

I drive in the rain all the time with no issues. I also wash and degrease the engine all the time, and start it up with the belt soaking wet, and experience no belt squeeling of any nature. I also have done a water crossing on a flooded road that was up to my head lights...with NO issues at all.

I am aware of an issue of this sort with the Grand Caravan line....namely the late 90's models....they would pop serpentine belts really easy in the rain, but thats a completely different engine and completely different set up.

And what I was saying in my statement is that it's not hard to get belt squeeling on any vehicle when you put a great load on the belt at idle speed.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just never has gone roundy round with all of the engine thingies under the hood since I got my
Libby. Ya think that's a problem? Hmm I'm thinkin lemon law or sumthin. It is still under warranty, I should take it in an show em.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that if the belt stoped completely dead, the friction from that still-spinning crank pulley would dry it out in about .0000237 (aprox! \:D/ ) seconds, and either burn through, or start driving the belt again. Unless it was submerged, in which case it would probally still muck it up. But that's just me.

javert said:
Some thing with the accessory drive changed in 05. Some of the Liberty 3.7L engine received a one way clutch on the alternator to help fix this problem. I also believe that they changed belt lengths.
Umm... Pretty sure the drive is the same in all of them. If they changed it in 05, then either all 02-05's would have the problem, or they caused it in 05 and all 05-07's would have the problem.

I could be wrong, someone care to enlighten me if i am?

javert

Reaction score
I drive in the rain all the time with no issues. I also wash and degrease the engine all the time, and start it up with the belt soaking wet, and experience no belt squeeling of any nature. I also have done a water crossing on a flooded road that was up to my head lights...with NO issues at all.
I am aware of an issue of this sort with the Grand Caravan line....namely the late 90's models....they would pop serpentine belts really easy in the rain, but thats a completely different engine and completely different set up.
And what I was saying in my statement is that it's not hard to get belt squeeling on any vehicle when you put a great load on the belt at idle speed.[/quote]

You my friend have a 2003 the statement was made for the 2005.

Actually I know quite a bit about the chrysler minivan belt jumping issue. Your right, the caravan does exibit this condition. And your right that the libertys problem is nothing like it. There is actually a special fix kit available from Gates for the Caravan, that changes the belt to a double rib (ribs on both sides) design so that the belt can't fall off.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been offroading with someone that has a 2006 libby and theyve never had problems with the belt stopping in water.

So, the belt is the only problem? Not a big deal to switch out IMHO. I would be more worried about changing out the tires before you kill someone in the rain. Or getting a lift so you can clear the ladybug in the middle of the road without using the skids plates. or.. or.. or.. yea, you get the point. \:D/

2003KJ

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
And what I was saying in my statement is that it's not hard to get belt squeeling on any vehicle when you put a great load on the belt at idle speed.

javert said:
You my friend have a 2003 the statement was made for the 2005.

Actually I know quite a bit about the chrysler minivan belt jumping issue. Your right, the caravan does exibit this condition. And your right that the libertys problem is nothing like it. There is actually a special fix kit available from Gates for the Caravan, that changes the belt to a double rib (ribs on both sides) design so that the belt can't fall off.

I am well aware that I have a 2003, and the one in question is a 2005. And my statement, which Cableguy also said, is that the 3.7 (on the KJ atleast) should be the same through out all the years. Thus if there was an issue of this matter with the 3.7 in the 2005, the problem would exist through out all the years.

Cableguy also brought up the point that if water were to get in there and "stop the belt", the friction from the speed of the crank (which is spinning at a good 700rpm or so at a hot idle) would burn through that water faster than you can blink....hence the squeeling one gets sometimes from water coming in contact with a belt.

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 and I drive in the rain every time it rains. \:D/

I have never had a problem, I have been in slush and wather up to the bumpers and never had an issue. Hmmmmmmm. :-k

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I have first hand experience.

I've done, and so has my sister done flooded road water crossings.

This has never happened.

Her Jeep is a 2005.

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to let you know penske, I just went outside and did you hose trick with every light, a/c, turning wheel and nothing wierd happened, go peddle your wares elsewhere :-({|=

javert

Reaction score
glaurick said:
Just to let you know penske, I just went outside and did you hose trick with every light, a/c, turning wheel and nothing wierd happened, go peddle your wares elsewhere :-({|=

Does no one listen. You have an 04. The problem is with the 05 and up (3.7L only). Does no one know how to read here?

frikki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
javert said:
glaurick said:

Does no one listen. You have an 04. The problem is with the 05 and up (3.7L only). Does no one know how to read here?

Heh heh, you're still here?

Status
Not open for further replies.