Liberty engine noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peej Ytrebil

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is my first time on the forum, so forgive me if this subject has been covered before.

My wife has a 2002 Liberty Limited with the 3.7 V6 engine. We purchased the vehicle used from a mail dealer (Not Jeep) about 5 months ago with 72000 km on the odometer. We had the oil changed about a week ago at the same dealer that supplied the vehicle through their “fast lube” centre. A short while after (24 hours) the engine developed what sounds like a nosy cam follower on the left side of the engine (when viewed from the front). The noise is not evident when the engine is cold, but develops within 3-5 minutes at idle as the engine warms.

The lube centre used 5W30 Bulk oil, a GM oil filter and the currant odometer reading is 78000 km.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

PY (Aeh)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't the oil supposed to be 10W30, but then I never heard wrong grade oil to cause the noises you mentioned..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dealer keeps using 10w30 for some reason :-s

2003KJ

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
The dealer keeps using 10w30 for some reason :-s

I've always run 10W30 year round. Even the stealer back when I used to let them change the oil put in 10W30.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 10W-30 in ours once, but when I did, I noticed it rattled a lot more when idling, and just didn't sound as quiet as the 5w-30, so I put that back in the next oil change. I will need to do it again soon, and I will probably switch out to synthetic.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should do my own oil changes...... :-k and get synthetic next time.. does the manual call for 5 or 10?
sorry for hijacking the thread! 8-[

2003KJ

Reaction score
tgh117 said:
I put 10W-30 in ours once, but when I did, I noticed it rattled a lot more when idling, and just didn't sound as quiet as the 5w-30, so I put that back in the next oil change. I will need to do it again soon, and I will probably switch out to synthetic.

Really? I experienced the opposite results.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started using Amsoil 5-30 last month and noticed my engine smoother and more quiet on start-up than before,For colder weather you should try it since I read other folks up north swear by it..

Peej Ytrebil

Reaction score
Liberty engine noise update.

I took the Liberty to a dealer over the weekend for diagnosis. As a result the engine's being pulled out some time this week. Sounds serious so I hope the warranty's going to hold! [-o<

Thanks for all your thoughts on my original post.

PY

scottpb33

Reaction score
Can you post what the outcome of your problem? I have been looking all over these newsgroups for a problem a friend has been experiancing with his Jeep Liberty Limited. It sounds like a valve tap, but the noise is actually coming from the front of the vehicle, and more towards the passenger side of the motor. I pulled the valve cover off, and inspected, and ran the car with it off to see if I could pinpoint the noise. This did not work, becuase I did not hear anything that sounded like a valve tap?

I have also read that, and been told by several Dodge/Jeep dealers that this motor, although a good motor, requires good oil, not cheep Jiffy Lube stuff. Also the screen on the oil pickup is very small, and cloggs often after 70,000 miles, and then damages the motor beyond repair. The valve train is good, but tempermentle on some motors.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online