Liberty doesn't move at full lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noob.forum

Reaction score
Hi.
I have done a quick search and came up with this topic:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47393&highlight=full+lock

What I want to know is how does your 2006 (or thereabouts Liberty) behave inside a normal parking lot when turning a full lock or 3/4 quarters to drive into parking?
Mine doesnt move at all. And it is making me very worried.
Like it kind of refuses to move without heaps of acceleration.
It is 2006 libery renegade, under 100,000ks bought from a dealer yesterday.
Can someone please guide me.
Thank you.

EDIT.
So is it normal to feel that way? I can swear that I test drove a few others, but never tried doing a full lock as there was no apparent need for it. Its like reversing in a parking ,where u have to turn full lock, which I have been doing with other suvs.
i have tried this in 2wd AND in 2wd part time. Didnt think it would make sense to try in 4wd hi or lo.
So please, tell me anything you knows know so I can relate to it :)
And yes, this is one of those websites which convinced me into buying this car :)

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not a car ,a Jeep
The reason for it is gearing
your Jeep has the 42rle trans in it so the 1st and reverse gears are 2.5 to 1 ,or about that
the early '03 and all '02's came with the 45rfe trans which has a 3 to 1 first and reverse

Think of it like this
to pass fast you need to down shift
same thing it needs a lower gear but there is none so it needs more gas
you could regear to 4.10's in the axles and compensate

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're stuck at 4hi. Does it move when you slightly tap the gas, or does is still struggle/hop etc.. There is no 2WD Part Time. There is 2WD, 4HI, N and 4LO.

noob.forum

Reaction score
not a car ,a Jeep
The reason for it is gearing
your Jeep has the 42rle trans in it so the 1st and reverse gears are 2.5 to 1 ,or about that
the early '03 and all '02's came with the 45rfe trans which has a 3 to 1 first and reverse

Think of it like this
to pass fast you need to down shift
same thing it needs a lower gear but there is none so it needs more gas
you could regear to 4.10's in the axles and compensate

I kind of get your point. As long as it is normal for Liberty's or similar then I can rest easy
Also The other cars that I have driven were a Land Cruiser, a Cherokee, a Nissan xtrail, a Ford Escape (eg. owned and driven for long periods)
I know, the xtrail and escape are not 4x4 hence behave diffrently, but 98 cherokee also behaved like a car.
Hence I ask for suggestions/help from you guys

So TDLR, indicate it is all okie? :party52:

noob.forum

Reaction score
Sounds like you're stuck at 4hi. Does it move when you slightly tap the gas, or does is still struggle/hop etc.. There is no 2WD Part Time. There is 2WD, 4HI, N and 4LO.

Hi mate.
Actually this is the setup for the 4x4 gear
Setting:
1 2wd no indicator
2 Part time -with part time showing on screen
3 Fulltime- with full time showing on screen
4 Nuetral
5 4lo with 4lo showing on screen.

Yes it moves when I tap on the gas a bit harder.
I tried the car in 2wd, with no indicator, and it was much much more smooth on the 3/4 full lock turn

You must be registered for see images

Sample picture, not my car's gear , just similar

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
short wheelbase and sharp turning radius equals binding... at full lock mine is tough to get to move too. it's something in the steering geometry i'm sure

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
short wheelbase and sharp turning radius equals binding... at full lock mine is tough to get to move too. it's something in the steering geometry i'm sure

Our '03 with the 45rfe did not do this
my TJ does not do this it it has a shorter wheelbase and a tighter turning
radius:shrug:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tj is apples to oranges... solid axle, different geometry. The older liberties (pre lowered) probably even have different geometry. just because of slightly different angles. transmission won't make a difference. it's binding between all the wheels the two fronts at full lock will be at slightly different angles from eachother. could be an alignment will fix the whole problem, but i got mine aligned a while back, after the lift. I can't remember if it was binding after alignment or not. i replaced one uca, and it needs an alignment again, and i know it's binding a bit now.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine does not bind when full lock in a driveway, mall parking lot or down on the farm on the back trails
Well unless I have it locked into 4 WD for some stupid reason on pavement ptherwise no.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
noticed mine wasn't binding today, maybe i was just remembering pre-alignment.
i'm reasonably confident that an alignment will solve the issue.
at full lock your inside (the turn) tire should be turned a little further than the outside, if it's not, or it's too much, it'll bind in the turn, and it can still go straight down the road fine, can't remember if it's caster or camber that'll affect this, but even the lower control arms have a lot of adjustment possibility. take it to a tire shop, and ask them.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tj is apples to oranges... solid axle, different geometry. The older liberties (pre lowered) probably even have different geometry. just because of slightly different angles. transmission won't make a difference. it's binding between all the wheels the two fronts at full lock will be at slightly different angles from eachother. could be an alignment will fix the whole problem, but i got mine aligned a while back, after the lift. I can't remember if it was binding after alignment or not. i replaced one uca, and it needs an alignment again, and i know it's binding a bit now.

sorry you are wrong
The KJ was bone stock "lowered" did not do it
then lifted still did not do it
TJ has not been on an alignment rack in 4+ years
'09 F250 55K+ miles never been aligned on the second set of tires I know it needs an alignment it does not do this
The '09 VW also does not do this
the thing about all of the above is that they are geared lower so they need less HP to move at a given speed
This is the same thing that makes the 42rle "shimmy" in reverse
or the reason why I could burn 245/75 MTR's on dry ground
3 to 1 reduction VS 2.5 to 1 ,lower final drive

oh and just for reference the VW has a 3.95 to 1 first with a 3.69 final
that would be like having the 2.5 first and gears well into the 5.XX range in a KJ
or the F250 with a 3.11 first and 3.73's ,the KJ would need gears below 4.50 in the axles
nearly the same for the TJ
see the problem with the KJ and the 42rle now.....

Last edited:

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no... anything compared to anything else that's not the same is fuji apples to granny smith apples or red delicious apples to navel oranges...
not every vehicle made, and not even every vehicle made by one manufacturer has identicle geometry. different suspensions, different track widths, different wheel base, different load ratings... etc... yada yada yada.
but yes... none should bind
mine did bind. aligned, doesn't bind.
TJ probably won't ever bind because it's a solid axle, less geometric forces at play against it since when one wheel goes up, the other moves in relation to it. again... apples. maybe i'm wrong, maybe we are both right, but your going way further into it.

my final word on this subject is, take it to alignment shop, ask their oppinion. ultimately someone having it on the rack has more idea as to your problems than anyone on the internet

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I gave the above some more thought
yes a bad alignment "CAN" cause a bind which "COULD" cause the Jeep
to not move at full lock
however if this were the problem I could tell from a simple photo of the front end as it would be that pronounced
but you would also have some MAJOR tire issues with in a few hundred miles