Liberty 5 hours of Exterior Cleaning!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My Poor Liberty has no garage and I have to say it is a PITA to try to keep it clean. .
Never have I seen so many annoying nooks and crannies.
The roof rails have small channels where dirt collects. Even though I throughly wash the roof, junk still keep coming out. I have to use a small brush with soap to get it clean in the channels.
Other areas are around both front and rear lights, cracks around bumper and fenders, under and around the grille, rear doors, top brake light, and that plastic thing with all the grooves under the windshield on and on...

So once you got it all washed it is on to protecting all the exterior plastic, which can be a 1+ hour job, I can not believe how much black plastic there is.
Plastic that needs UV protection to keep it from fading: Roof rails, grille, all door handles, rear bumper step, the tire cover, rear door plastic steps, and all door bottom trims, the hatch top hinge caps, and glass plastic rectangle,
rear door window dividers and lower moldings, the front windshield thing, I think you get the idea, THIS IS A HUGE JOB!
And to anyone that says the KJ is small I dare you to hand wax all the paint, and in my case w/the painted fenders, and the roof, go for it...It is also a huge job another 3 hours +...
Wow...I have to do my KJ in steps over days, I'm going to rest now..WOW!:)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's not too bad once you get the hang of it. Removing the grill helps me, in the front.

It's pretty tiring though after clay, then compound (some areas), then polish, then wax...

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just go to the self serve car wash, and after 5 minutes with the pressure washer I call it a day :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that bad...ah...you don't want to live where I do, even thought my outside parking has no trees, I live close to wind drifting from the harbor, where concrete plant and wheat are deposited by the minute. When it gets real windy, crap from local roofs blow in fine chucks of roofing tar, and moss. Lots of green slime on kj too...oh ya I forgot the seagulls....YUK...I think I may need to find a good cover soon.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey just think if you had the plastic fender flares like me, thats even more plastic to do, and its a pita when you get wax on that or trying to avoid getting wax on it. peanut butter is in heavy supply at my house haha.

also the plastic molding around the rear door sills, they collect dirt like you wouldn't believe

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
hey just think if you had the plastic fender flares like me, thats even more plastic to do, and its a pita when you get wax on that or trying to avoid getting wax on it. peanut butter is in heavy supply at my house haha.

also the plastic molding around the rear door sills, they collect dirt like you wouldn't believe

Ya I am glad that I have the painted flares, in a way..but unlike HJ, that wants to clay bar and polish and wax, I know that will never happen.
I wait until it rains and give a quick sponge once in a while, and twice a year give a good clean up with some wax. Other than that there is no time for weekly baths, as I have other toys to look after!

Regarding that molding around the rear door, ya I call it a catch all. After a salted and sanded winter, I opened the back door and there was stuff growing in there. I had to get a bucket of hot water and a plastic scraper to remove the crap and slimy moss that was collecting. I think I was about a week away from having a singular caterpillar nest/ butterfly collection soon!:)

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I handwax all of the cars I detail. The Liberty isn't that big. Mine is easy to clean back up. Even after off-roading.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i spent about 5 hours today waxing and washing and clay barring my libby
OMFG black is a ***** to get swirls out of!!! second coat of wax and a second trip for new microfiber cloths i sitll have several spots that the wax isnt quite right..

you know that Mguires claybar pack that is supposed to last through several applications? YA no way! i trashed mine with this one go. My libby was so bad i felt like crap when i realized how bad she was!!!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Meguires #2 (red Bottle) really does wonders to remove the swirls.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
im not sure im expressing myself

the swirls are in the wax itself not scratch swirl marks in the clearcoat..

think of kind of like an oil sheen on water..

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You have blueish haze? I've had that happen on the Rover. Try re washing it.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
this was JUST after the waxing,, and rewaxing got rid of most of it.. maybe i just need to keep waxing til it goes away..

keep in mind that ive had the jeep maybe 2.5 years and id never doen anything to it but run it through a mikes wash.

no wax, no buffing, nothing.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Try washing the areas again....with good soap.

Or Quik Detailer. But, QD makes it worse some times.