Left rear window failed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James

Reaction score
My new old 2007 Liberty has its first window fail. I've only had it for four months. I'm thinking of getting the Steiger kit and fixing it myself. I don't want to go to the dealership if i can help it. Even if they can fix it for free I think I'd rather pay the $99 bucks to beef up the system.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup just go ahead and do it yourself. Much more rewarding and that whole process wasn't that hard either.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my left rear regulator replaced by the dealership under warranty. The replacement broke within six months. Both rears now have the Steiger part in them.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put the steiger part in my drivers side rear. holding up well! Over 3 years ago.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
One clever fellow here used suction cups to hold the window up. Line them up along the very bottom of the window.

WWDiesel

Reaction score
I bought the whole assembly for the LR window, regulator and motor from Autozone and it comes with a lifetime warranty so if it fails again all it cost you is your time to replace the assembly. Price was reasonable...:happy107:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna order it after the holidays. I have packing tape holding the window up now.

Did that with my rear passenger window when I bought my KJ, had to have both rear window regulators replaced when I bought it. Knew of the rear driver side was broken, but the window was actually jammed in the up position. Rear passenger worked fine till I left it in the wash bay over night to thaw out so I could wash it. When I was doing my ritual of making sure all the doors were firmly shut the window dropped, thankfully it did not shatter.

Zippy

Reaction score
I bought the entire kits from ebay. Its the track, regulator, motor, all hardware, etc. I paid $45 per side shipped. I did both rear windows in little over an hou total and it was under $100. They work flawlessly now.

Last edited:

Apex

Reaction score
The Steiger kits are the way to go; factory windows and the repair kits still use the plastic corkscrew on the window mounting plate that the regulator cable goes through. Most of the time, this plastic corkscrew is what breaks, and the Steiger parts replace the whole plastic plate with a steel one. All parts and the tool needed are supplied in the box.

It all depends on what goes bad in ones KJ though, if the regulators themselves are shot then you'll have no choice but to buy new ones, then have to worry about most likely replacing the plastic plates nonetheless. They sure did overdo it with the cheap polymers on our KJs, that's for sure.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be sure to check the information on your door jam sticker before ordering the Steiger kit. It explains it on the site so that you order the right kit.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the Steiger kit is a good fix. For me, though, I decided to go with a NAPA (Dorman) assy. It is much faster to replace, and the whole assy is warranted for as long as I own the Jeep.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.
I'll check into the NAPA unit and send him the info for both units and let him decide.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 06 lib left rear failed in 2013. i need to fix that lol. i have it wired shut from inside the door panel. i miss 4 windows down in the heat.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This repair really isn't that hard to do. I watched a few vids on youtube with a step by step and then proceeded. I had a friend help by holding the window at the end when I was attaching the bracket to the window. It only took us 30 minutes to knock it out. It probably would have taken me an hour if I was taking it slow.

Members online

No members online now.