LED Headlight Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Act78danger

Reaction score
I cannot decide between Auxbeam and Hikari, both seem good reviews on Amazon and many people say both are great.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot decide between Auxbeam and Hikari, both seem good reviews on Amazon and many people say both are great.

Realistically, it probably does not matter much. If you're ordering from Amazon, they generally have excellent return policies should you find an issue with whichever one you order.

Act78danger

Reaction score
Realistically, it probably does not matter much. If you're ordering from Amazon, they generally have excellent return policies should you find an issue with whichever one you order.
Okay, thanks. I checked reviews on Amazon on both brands, and that's exactly what made me doubt. Both are good, but I do not need 2 sets. The only concern I have is that flickering issue some people have, you know. So I thought to ask you folks here, because if 1 of them does not flicker on KJs, you know...
At the moment, I am closer to Hikari Ultras (the most expensive version):
https://hikari-led.com/headlight-bulbs/ultra-led-headlight-conversion-kit.html

Richard Aleman

Richie 2005 liberty
Reaction score
Well I can tell you from personal experience that no HID, LED or halogen works good on a KJ.
I’ve had all three and currently running LEDs and light is still scattered like HIDs without the glare, but even expensive halogens suck
Also, you have to angle them down so far to be of any use and not blind everyone else that they then become useless
Halogen reflectors are not designed for any bulb but halogens and WILL scatter light no matter how far they’ve come or evolved over the last few years
The only way to properly run any other bulb is to have projector headlights and they are uglier than **** on these
And no, there is no 7” projector/LED JK headlight housing that will work for a KJ

Good example: my Q50S is completely LED and the headlight has ONE small LED (in a proper housing) for the high beams and is brighter, without scattered light, than any of these “plug and play” bulbs you can buy with 2+ LEDs

My .02
I cut the plastic locking ring so it’d open up and go around the fan and then once locked it’s pressed tightly back together
No issues after about a year
I have a question that I wonder if you can help me with ? I bought led head lights and my high beams want come on. Did you have the same problem with your KJ ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking of converting your halogen headlamps to HID or LED?

Good HID and LED headlamps are terrific; they can offer excellent safety performance and driver comfort, but only if they're designed and built from the start as HID or LED headlamps. Installing an "HID kit" or "LED bulbs" in a halogen headlamp isn't an upgrade, it's a large and serious safety downgrade.

So you've read about HID and LED headlamps—maybe you've driven a car equipped with them—and now you want to convert your car. A few mouse clicks on the web, and you've found dozens of outfits offering to sell you an "HID kit" or a set of "LED bulbs" that will fit right in place of your car's halogen bulbs. Sounds great, right? It's not. STOP! Put away that credit card.

This article primarily discusses the problems with "HID kits", but the concept and most of the issues apply equally to the "LED bulbs" now flooding the market. Like "HID kits", they are not a legitimate, safe, effective, or legal product. No matter whose name is on them or what the vendor claims, they are a fraudulent scam. They are not capable of producing the right amount of light in the right distribution pattern for the lamp's optics to work. The particular details of the incompatibility are different for LED vs. HID, but the principles and problems are the same overall. In one sentence: halogen headlamps must use halogen bulbs or they don't—can't—won't work effectively, safely, or legally.

An "HID kit" or "LED conversion" consists of HID ballasts and bulbs (or "LED bulbs") for retrofitting into a halogen headlamp. Kits for replacement of standard round or rectangular sealed-beam headlamps usually include a poor-quality replaceable-bulb headlight lens-reflector unit that's not safe or legal even when equipped with the intended (usually H4) halogen bulb. Often, these products are advertised using the name of a reputable lighting company ("Real Philips kit! Real Osram kit! Real Hella kit! Real Cree LEDs!", etc) to try to give the potential buyer the illusion of legitimacy. On rare occasion, some of the components in these kits did start out as legitimate HID headlight bulbs made by reputable companies, but they are modified (hacked) by the "HID kit" suppliers, and they aren't being put to their designed or intended use. Reputable companies like Philips, Osram, Hella, etc. never endorse this kind of hacked usage of their products. Nevertheless, it's easy to get "HID kits" from China bearing the (unauthorised, counterfeit) brands of major, reputable companies. See this page for just a few examples of the many packaging options offered by just one Chinese maker of "HID kits".

Halogen headlamps and HID headlamps require very different optics to produce a safe and effective—not to mention legal—beam pattern. How come? Because of the very different characteristics of the two kinds of light source.

A halogen bulb has a cylindrical light source: the glowing filament. The space immediately surrounding the cylinder of light is completely dark, and so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is along the edges of the cylinder of light. The ends of the filament cylinder fade from bright to dark. An HID bulb, on the other hand, has a crescent-shaped light source -- the arc. It's crescent-shaped because as it passes through the space between the two electrodes, its heat causes it to try to rise. The space immediately surrounding the crescent of light glows in layers...the closer to the crescent of light, the brighter the glow. The ends of the arc crescent are the brightest points, and immediately beyond these points is completely dark, so the sharpest contrast between bright and dark is at the ends of the crescent of light.

Latest posts

Members online