leaky radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after 264500 miles my radiator has a small crack/hole at the top in a very convenient place that can be epoxied, patched, duct taped, etc... without removing. i would like to get another mopar radiator since it lasted so long but dealer and/or online both want $250+.

1. anyone recommend a good mopar parts site that isn't so pricy?
2. or a replacement radiator that is just as good but under $200?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats about the going rate for an OEM one
Lots of places have them but they all will develop a crack in the upper right corner

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be glad you are not in canada. They go for close to 450 here. I would go with a OEM since it lasted so long, if you put a 250 and the rad live the rest of the libby life, then itès a good deal no? Or go to your local junkyard and pic a used OEM from there. Will be cheaper yes but will it be safer?

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats about the going rate for an OEM one
Lots of places have them but they all will develop a crack in the upper right corner

its like you looked under my hood and saw it for yerself... i am guessing this is a common break since i found some other posts with the same issue.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
the dealership is having a 10% discount so im getting it for $229.50 plus tax blah.

Thats not bad since the replacements from like NAPA are over 100 . My buddy Chris has replaced 5 or 6 of them so far in the past two years.
At least hes getting faster !!!! Thankfully they have a lifetime warranty :happy175:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I ended up getting a Spectra radiator, kinda needed it fixed (didn't have time really to wait a few days for a Mopar one). The guy that installed it sweared by it, and said it's just as good as a Mopar one. I trust him- he hasn't steered me wrong yet and is really honest.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting a Spectra radiator, kinda needed it fixed (didn't have time really to wait a few days for a Mopar one). The guy that installed it sweared by it, and said it's just as good as a Mopar one. I trust him- he hasn't steered me wrong yet and is really honest.

Did you get the model with the in-rad trans cooler? That's the version I got and I plumbed the trans cooler lines into it and then back out to the cooler in front of the radiator.

Just curious... :icon_cool:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, that's the one! I already got the other trans cooler though...but I did think about plumbing this one in. :D

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's the one! I already got the other trans cooler though...but I did think about plumbing this one in. :D

It's an easy mod - couple of fittings from NAPA, 4 feet of 3/8" trans cooler hose and 4 hose clamps. Presto! An in-rad cooler to level out trans temp spikes.

Come on, HJ - you can do it! :waytogo:

Bob

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced the radiator with my cousin. surprisingly easy and did not have to drill out anything as all these youtube videos say.

and it runs cooler!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an easy mod - couple of fittings from NAPA, 4 feet of 3/8" trans cooler hose and 4 hose clamps. Presto! An in-rad cooler to level out trans temp spikes.

Come on, HJ - you can do it! :waytogo:

Bob

Can I have a link to this rad? Seriously considering the mod while I have my radiator out.

Thank ya! :)

Edit: I think I found it. Can you confirm it's this one? How is it holding up? It's a pretty damn good price.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=499658&cc=1434760

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's the one I have. The guy that installed it (owner of the shop, super nice guy) said that it would work just as well as Mopar and if it doesn't he'll swap it out again for free. Been fine since May, knock on wood!

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats not bad since the replacements from like NAPA are over 100 . My buddy Chris has replaced 5 or 6 of them so far in the past two years.
At least hes getting faster !!!! Thankfully they have a lifetime warranty :happy175:

Napa is like $225 here and its the spectra brand that they have here. Replaced mine last fall and again last week. Limited lifetime warranty but I hope I get more than 6 months to a year out of this one!

ionizer

Reaction score
why do these rads all suck. im on my third. oem,oem, and canadian tire lifetime this time. cant remember the brand. but if it pops again they cover it. minus labour. and there is one in every town in canada, although they broke my fan shroud and missed a grill bolt. gotta love crappy tire.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why do these rads all suck. im on my third. oem,oem, and canadian tire lifetime this time. cant remember the brand. but if it pops again they cover it. minus labour. and there is one in every town in canada, although they broke my fan shroud and missed a grill bolt. gotta love crappy tire.

Good to know canadian tire offers a lifetime replacement warranty. According to their website it's a spectra radiator. I believe the napa here offers the same one.

I wonder if in order to get the warranty it needs to be installed by them. I don't trust the canadian tire here. I was looking for coolant for my liberty and both the sales people and the techs said the universal coolant will work. I said to them that I don't think it would. They started to get a bit pushy about it so I left.