Leaking water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdlgiii

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, thought I was doing well here. Two weeks ago, replaced t-stat, hoses, radiator cap and flushed radiator and new coolent. Things running fine until a couple days ago, I noticed the collent level was a little low and filled it up to the cold line. (figured I got an air pocket out earlier by running it with the radiator cap off until bubbles and steam started coming out.
Then yesterday I noticed a small puddle of coolent directly below where water pump is. I felt behind the pulley and there is some coolent back there.
Just wondering if changing out the coolent with new caused the pump to fail?
We bought it used and new it needed the coolent flushed out but when I drained it, there was a lot of mold or something like that mixed in with old coolent. I ran water through the radiator until it ran clear and then refilled system.

So, I suppose now I need to replace the water pump. Any tips on doing this? I replaced water pumps before on my Dodge Ram 1500 so wondering if its almost like that one. I guess I am going to have to get more coolent or I was thinking of just reusing the coolent since its only a couple of weeks old.

What are the torque specs on the bolts that hold it on?
Does it require anti seize on the mounting bolts?
RTV Sealent needed?
Was going to but a NEW NAPA water pump instead of reman.

Are these things pretty easy to replace?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not have the mechanical fan attached to the waterpump it takes less then 20mins to change the waterpump on a 3.7.No gasket,no RTV,it uses a giant o-ring.

Use only HOAT coolant,do not use any coolant that states "universal" or "all mkaes/models",also do not mix with tap water use distilled water only.

gdlgiii

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I think I am learning this the hard way. I put Prestone Extended Life green coolant in there. The stuff that came when I drained the system looked like water and had a tinge of brown to it.
So guess I need to flush it all out and get the other stuff.