Largest tyres I can fit on my 06 3.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

platinum74

Reaction score
Hi all, I did search for a previous thread but couldn't see an answer to my question so will post it!

I have an 06 3.7L Limited running Jeep OEM 6 spoke 17" rims. I currently have normal road tyres (I am in London UK so spelling it as tyres as opposed to tires ;>)

235/65/17

I only use the Jeep around town and the occasional muddy trail. I am an amateur. I would like to put the largest fat nobbly tyres I can, (using spacers if needed) to fit the existing suspension.

Question: What does anyone recommend please for the make/type of tyre and size that I could squeeze onto the Jeep, I guess using spacers too. I want it to look mean.

I can research into lifting it up a few inches too if that will help. I just don't have a huge amount of cash to spend and I am not a real off-roader pro like some of you will be so a lift kit is unlikely to happen at this time.

Thanks from London

Jamie

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 19

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Welcome!

Before mine was lifted I had 245/70/16's... Silent Armour (I'm Canadian so spelling it as Armour instead of Armor ;) ). That is a 29.5 inch tire. Anything under 30 inches and you should be OK.

:waytogo:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can turn your wheels lock to lock and measure what clearance you have now, then you'll know how much taller of a tyre you can go with. One of the things that gets in the way with oversize tyres is the pinch weld on the rear of the wing well. But, you can cut the plastic down, and bend the metal lip over using a mole wrench and mallet. ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just look for tires that are 29-30 inches tall, with being 8 years old, suspension sagging, thats it. You can't go much over stock size unless you upgrade the suspension

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your current tires were 29" tall. Again, measure and see just how much clearance you have now, and be sure to factor in your current tire's tread wear. If the tires are completely bald, there's about 11/32 less tread, or 5/8" less overall height than when new. A 1" taller tire for instance, is going to close the clearance gap by 1/2". Tirerack.com is a handy source to check tire specs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
measure all day long , but the facts remain even when brand new a 29.5 inch tire rubbed slightly. So staying in that range of 29 inches, possibly 30 if it hasn't sagged too much yet, plus depending on tread design will get you right there

so 235-65-17 at 29.1 or 245-65-17 at 29.5 ( maybe ) is right there for 17 inch wheels
Spacers will only cause issues with more rubbing when unlifted and does not make one look "mean"

Last edited: