Larger tyre size without lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want larger tyres for my '04 Renegade(all stock). Currently I have 235/70/16 winter tyres on it. My aim here, is to have higher stance and stronger look/feel WITHOUT lift.(b/c providing lift kits and installation process is a huge problem here)

I have read about similar issues in the forum, but I still have questions and any help will be greatly appreciated:)

1- What tyre size should I choose for gaining some height and ground clearence on the stock vehicle? Would 245/70/16 suffice? Or anything else with no or minimal rubbing?

2- How much increase in gas consumption and decrease in acceleration would you expect with those tyres on?

3. How much height do I gain with those tyres?

3- I have mostly on road and some off road usage. What type of tyres would you recommend? AT, MT etc?

BTW, this is how my Renny looks with 235/70/16 :

Attachments

• REN2.jpg
    REN2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 26
  • REN1.jpg
    REN1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 23

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
well without a lift i thinks its a 245/70 but im running yokohama geolandar a/t-s 235/65/17(freedom edtion)

Midgear

Reaction score
The largest one can go at stock height and be totaly free of rubbing would be 245/70/16, you can put 245/75/16's on there but you'd need to do a bit of trimming of the fenders and hammer the pinch weld- you may also rub at full lock on your sway bar.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bit of trimming with 245-75s :eek:
How about a BUNCH of trimming. Not worth it

just stick with 245-70-16s and you'll be good.
You will not lose any mileage really at all.
For on and off road get a good AT tire and be done with it. Firestone Destination AT would be good
Not sure what part of the world you are but let us know and maybe we can help more

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Turkiye. Lift kits are not sold here. Only imported from other countries on personal demand at incredible prices. I don't even want to think how much they would ask for installation:(
BTW, I'm not sure if I would be satisfied and safe with the results.
That's why I don't want any lift.

I compared 235/70 and 245/70. I could hardly notice the difference in size.. Looks like 245s will not help me at all:(

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They will but it seems like you know what you want so.................................................................................

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
235/70-16 6.5in 14.5in 29.0in 91.0in 697 0.0%
245/70-16 6.8in 14.8in 29.5in 92.7in 684 1.9%

Since there is only a .5" difference between them, your only going to gain .25" more ground clearance.

The 245/70 will be a meatier looking tire if you go that route.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 245/70/16's and on occasion when I go over a big bump I can hear/feel a bit of rub. It is not every time, just certain bumps on the road, mostly where the crown of the road has been set incorrectly. But when I look in my wheel wells and inspect the tires I don't see anything, go figure. Not like they are aggresively big tires, but I went up a bit and that is my expierence.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately .25" gain only..

I read some about spacers and they seem to be easier to provide and install. What do you think?

theholybull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 255 70s on my 02 with minimal rubbing. you may want to look into the Revtek lift kits. They are in expensive and VERY easy to install as lung as you take your struts to a garage to have them compressed. After the tires are removed there are only 10 bolts to remove on the passenger side and 15 on the drivers side to completely remove the front struts. On the rear there is only 1 bolt to remove on each side after the wheels are removed. The front is not as much of a spacer lift as the daystar and wont be that ******* your springs. I dont see how spacers will hurt anything in the rear, as far as i can tell its just like lift blocks on a leaf spring suspension. I also feel that you will notice a difference going to the 245 more than you think. just go with a real chunky tread pattern and you will be satisfied.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. Looks like I'll have to lift it one way or another.

Why is a spacer lift not recommended?

And in any kind of lifting, will I have any collateral? I see that some people report instability over 100km/h and roughness.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found someone who makes his own spacers.
What is bad about a 2" spacer lift?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
With a spacer lift you still have the junky, worn out, crappy, good for nothing, rough riding stock suspension.
Springs and shocks are worn out by 30-35000
Name of the game is UPGRADE to a better suspension system
Doing a spacer lift is like wrapping duct tape around you running shows to make them last longer.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Turkiye and those kits are sold by people who don't ship internationally.
I need a kit that can be provided internationally.

I'll appreciate it if you recommend a good kit that can be found on int.trade sites like Ebay or vice versa.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I live in Turkiye and those kits are sold by people who don't ship internationally.
I need a kit that can be provided internationally.

I'll appreciate it if you recommend a good kit that can be found on int.trade sites like Ebay or vice versa.

If I lived in the U.S., I'd ship it out to you my self!
I don't understand what the difficulty is with some companies
that they won't ship internationally!
Hell, I have shipped 16 and 17 foot canoes via air freight to as far as South
Africa!