Knocking sound on 2011 Jeep Liberty (Video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nasferatu

Reaction score
After changing out the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors, cleaning the MAF sensor and putting in a brand new battery... It started up and idled for 5 minutes before dying.
My main concern is the knocking sound it was making... I've never heard that before. It has fuel and oil.

I'm being told it sounds like a rod???

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

nasferatu

Reaction score
I can't say for sure yet. It died while I was recording the videos and attempting to locate the sound. I've been scared to start it up again, worried about causing more damage.
It's definitely coming from the passenger side of the engine though if that means anything.
I'm going to start it up and have my buddy come over to help locate exactly where it's coming from later today.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the noise is not from the bottom end, that bodes well. That would seem to exclude a rod.

If coming from the passengers side valve cover, maybe it just threw a rocker arm. That can be put back on.