Knocking sound drives me nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ started making this rattling sound (vibration/knocking) coming from the rear passenger side while car is rolling. It's driving me crrrrrrazy. I thought it's the rear seat belt, the ****** electric window motor in the rear right door, the tonneau cover or maybe even the rear bump stop (hockey pucks) came loose, maybe the roof rack cross bars?!. None of those.
Everything is nice and tight yet this rattling sound continues still the car stops.
Ideas?

I got a long drive coming tomorrow and afraid I'll have to commit myself right after. Help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad rear upper ball joint.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a passenger sit in back and put their hands on the body work on either side, if they feel/hear it on one side could be loose upper shock bolt on that side , otherwise prob upper ball like rj said

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess would first be tri-link, then shocks
But could be as simple as exhaust etc.

Sounds like that irritate me. Last trip up from Winston Salem had a squeak from the roof rack somewhere /stopped shook it, checked all bolts etc, all tight. Got home after 7 hours of listening to it off and on , sat in the garage over night and hasn't made the sound since! :favorites68::favorites68:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess would first be tri-link, then shocks
But could be as simple as exhaust etc.

Sounds like that irritate me. Last trip up from Winston Salem had a squeak from the roof rack somewhere /stopped shook it, checked all bolts etc, all tight. Got home after 7 hours of listening to it off and on , sat in the garage over night and hasn't made the sound since! :favorites68::favorites68:

My new (to me) Commander has a rattle/knock like that in the driver's rear. Can't pinpoint it and I'm getting very irritated. It only happens on very sharp bumps like frost heaves and large cracks. :favorites68:

The KJ has a front end knock - but only in the summer! The past few weeks it's as quiet as a church mouse :Insane:

Bob

P.S. Tom, time to clean out your PM's. Can't send you a reply till it's emptied out :gr_grin:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For the Commander, is it possible that the third row seats could be rattling? I'd throw some weight on them and see what happens.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the Commander, is it possible that the third row seats could be rattling? I'd throw some weight on them and see what happens.

That's a great idea!

I have them folded down most of the time but that's exactly where the sound is coming from.

Thanks HJ :waytogo:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Have someone push the Jeep back and forth and watch the tri link, see if it looks sloppy. Check the joint for tears too.

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tailgate rattles. The support brace spot welds inside I think gave way. I think my wife backing it into a light pole helped it come free lol also check the tire mount.

could be coming from somewhere else too. I have a loud bang from the back seat of my silverado. I tracked it down to a loose FRONT of my passenger rock guard. Interesting it is loose in the front right but I hear it coming from behind me lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds and vibrations can sometimes travel a long ways at times.
Irritating for sure , I don't do squeaks, rattles, pops or bangs.
Have to track them down.