KJ's rock rails, DIY-style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my custom-made rock-rails for KJ.
since I made them for riding in wild and don't "wearing" them in the city, they was engineered with idea to make install-deinstall time short, it takes only 5 minutes to put them on.
Also, crossbars are a bit long, because I use hi-jack to lift KJ by these rock rails.

Attachments

• dsc_9723.jpg
    dsc_9723.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 593
  • dsc_9737.jpg
    dsc_9737.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 578
  • dsc_9749.jpg
    dsc_9749.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also like how they look, and that they are simple to remove!
Although I think if I had a set of rock rails, I would keep them on, just to keep shopping carts and car doors away! rofl2.gif

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really nice job.

Dave

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Do they bolt to anywhere on the frame, or just the pinch weld on the rocker panel? Can't tell from your photos.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Look Ok for light use like the stock rails see, need more bracing and bolt on better to attack the serious rocks and tress though
But if they work for you thats all that matters isn't it

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they bolt to anywhere on the frame, or just the pinch weld on the rocker panel? Can't tell from your photos.
yes, these rock rails are hard-bolted only to pinch wield,
Studs on the end of crossbars just inserted to factory holes, no nuts there. Those bolts-studs are big, like M12, so they don't move inside chassis holes. overall construction is quite sturdy.

I also like how they look, and that they are simple to remove!
Although I think if I had a set of rock rails, I would keep them on, just to keep shopping carts and car doors away! rofl2.gif
Good point ))) Those shopping carts could be really nasty, sometimes )))

It looks like it just has studs that go into factory holes in the subframe?
right.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats putting all of the stress on the pinch weld. doesn't matter if you have something just sticking back into the frame. You maybe able to say lift it straight up right there, but when you hit rocks and trees etc its not always a straight up or down hit.
Also more bracing at angles will help prevent it from bending if say hit straight on from the front or rear.
Just trying to be helpful with suggestions from what has been seen as weak areas

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, tommudd.

Thats putting all of the stress on the pinch weld.
nope. see picture.
when you had hit a rock or just using hi-jack - the red point goes up. black point stays steady (because of big studs are sitting tight), so green point presses up to subframe, which is hard enough to take a weight of vehicle.

small nuts on wielding pinch are basically holding the weight of rails and not letting big studs leave their holes. they don't take any much stress.

Am I missed something?

Regards,

Attachments

• dsc_9737.jpg
    dsc_9737.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would happen if you tied a rope to the rail and pulled it out perpendicularly? Rip it off with the pinch weld?

Just wondering. If you hit rocks the force could go up against the rail in any direction.

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would happen if you tied a rope to the rail and pulled it out perpendicularly? Rip it off with the pinch weld?

Just wondering. If you hit rocks the force could go up against the rail in any direction.
if you start pulling it hard straight horizontally, or even lower horizon, then yes. pinch wield will be ripped out.
but I hardly imagine this situation in RL. you most like will have some angle up, and in this case, rail with small bolts will press against the wielding-to-subframe angle, and nothing bad will happen, I believe =)

anyway, my rock rails construction is definitely not the smartest nor most solid one out there, but it do the trick for me - it's light and fast attachable, and I can use a hi-jack with it =)

Last edited:

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The largest issue I see, is when you are stuck on a rock and you start dragging the rail across it, you are going to get hung up on the support that runs back to the frame... there's no angle piece to let the rock ride over the support.

Never mind I just looked at the pic again and the rail is under the supports... I must be getting old.

Dmut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The largest issue I see, is when you are stuck on a rock and you start dragging the rail across it, you are going to get hung up on the support that runs back to the frame... there's no angle piece to let the rock ride over the support.

Never mind I just looked at the pic again and the rail is under the supports... I must be getting old.

But you have a point - if rock will stuck not on main rail but nearby of green point - then it will press against support (crossbars) and car will stuck. rare situation, but possible.
Well... I guess, full-length skid-plate from subframe to big rail will do the trick, but it will be so heavy and bulky...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
There are plenty of real world situations (particularly if you offroad) where these could bend/damage your pinch weld. Specifically in recovery. The pinch weld isn't a very sturdy anchor point.

If your intent is to have something compatible with your high lift for changing tires and such, then I think what you have is fine. I don't know that I would trust them in offroad situations. At the very least, bolt them to the frame for added strength.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not even use a hi-lift on them,
not strong enough, period.
not knocking what you are trying to do,
only pointing out that they need more cross/angle bracing, also need to be bolted back to the subframe.
I can put mine against rocks or trees and spin the whole Jeep around whatever it is
Troy ( previous owner of my rails) dropped over two foot off of a rock and it just barely put a small dent in the the outer tube. With your current setup, a drop like that they would be torn clear off. The force pushing up on the outer rail would twist it up and the part back at the frame would be pointing down. more than likey with damage to both the pinch weld and the door.
Going around town they'll do fine. So continue on

Pippobug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, any chance of measurement? I have also a KJ 2003 and as it cist a fortune to have them shippedfrom the US, any chance you have accurate maesurements to have them reproduced back here in the UK.
Thanks,
Fil

Axel-ander92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not even use a hi-lift on them,
not strong enough, period.
not knocking what you are trying to do,
only pointing out that they need more cross/angle bracing, also need to be bolted back to the subframe.
I can put mine against rocks or trees and spin the whole Jeep around whatever it is
Troy ( previous owner of my rails) dropped over two foot off of a rock and it just barely put a small dent in the the outer tube. With your current setup, a drop like that they would be torn clear off. The force pushing up on the outer rail would twist it up and the part back at the frame would be pointing down. more than likey with damage to both the pinch weld and the door.
Going around town they'll do fine. So continue on

What are your rails. I wish jcroffroad still made theirs but they don't.

Latest posts

Members online