KJ vs Nissan Xterra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbsoluteRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im a former nissan frontier owner, its liek the pickup version of the xterra, mine was an 04. dont buy an xterra, esp pre 05 one. they are slow and suck gas, and usually break alot. post 05 are nice, but the gas ***** worse then the kj

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ on the Xtrera's being better offroad than a stock KJ,they have way less flex than a stock KJ.

Yeah, I've never heard of any stock Xterra running the Rubicon at Moab, either. Pretty sure I remember reading about a stock KJ that did it a couple years ago, though.

smileyboy

Reaction score
I am not getting a Xterra. i was curious about his comments though. Even if he sells cars for a living.

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you asked about them on any Nissan forums? Perhaps someone who owns one could explain if/how they are better off-road. I know one person who has one but, he bought a Harley shortly after getting the Xterra so rarely drives the Nissan, now. I don't think he likes it much.

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took a tour around Xterra Owners Club. Man they dont like Liberties very much.

Looks like the Xterra can ultimately fit much larger tires.

30" tire fits any Xterra.
31" tire fits 2002 Xterra, and 2000-2001 with minor trimming.
32" tire fits any Xterra with major trimming and a lift is recommended.
33" tire requires a lift, trimming and work arounds.
(copied and pasted from Xterra forum)

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html
This is a guy getting ready to put on 35s!

Take a look at the forum, see what kind of mods they're able to do and what kinds of problems they have and judge for yourself!

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/

trailpixie

Reaction score
I think that they are certainly comparable. Stock, the Xterra has more clearance with bigger tires. That is a plus. According to consumers report testing, they also get slightly better fuel economy.

Xterras are much more expensive. Nissan doesn't have a great record when it comes to repair history.

Which one do you like better? I wouldn't automatically turn my nose up to a nice Xterra.

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those kits are also a heck of a lot more complete than the typical KJ kit.

I guess my point is that it doesnt look like they have an affordable suspension lift option. The only less expensive ones are body lifts, which only gain you wheel clearence.

Donnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could only find one I liked:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

The rest are the horrid old body style, or stock. As for the lifts being expensive, they're really not. I was putting together a FTS lift for my silverado that would cost over $2,000. Higher quality bigger lifts = $$$.

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that thing looks awesome. I actually like the XTerra quite a bit. I was trying to decide between it and the Liberty, but I found a used Libby in my price range before I found an XTerrra, so I guess I never really decided for real. I think they look good though (even the old body style), and have a very distinctive style.

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this out.

You must be registered for see images

I gotta admit (dont attack me please), these XTerras are looking freakin sweet!

But, I have a Libby! :)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far any positive Xterra talks are only based on its looks. With the combination of a higher price tag and cost of lift these bad boys would really eat up the wallet. I would also assume that part availability would be limited compared to our Jeep brand.

Donnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far any positive Xterra talks are only based on its looks.

Hit it on the head, the reason I like them is solely on looks. Although, after owning the KJ I'm very impressed with Jeep. I've had zero problems and am getting over 20mpg city. For whatever reason, I feel more reliability lies in the Liberty.

On the XTerra forum they downed the liberty because of repairs and clearance. Some chimed in that actually own both, and said their Jeep has NO problems and they're very comparable. Most seem to understand that modded a Liberty will give them a run for their money, but there will always be the 'Mines better than yours' attitude amongst some.

Last edited:

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually wanted an xterra back in 04 and was waiting for a year end sale when I checked out a KJ which was 4k cheaper with the same options.

They both have IFS for the front and in 04 the xterra had the 3.5 engine with less H.P. and poorer milage than the libby if I recall correctly.

Anyway I bought the K.J. -added skid plates and the rusty's coil lift along with some other small extra's-Now very happy with my choice. Also the few xterra's that I sometime offroad with seem to have their share of mechanical problems..

Latest posts

Members online