KJ vs. KK off road.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
^^^^From there, I take the KJ has the edge....

How much stronger is the front diff of the KK???

Mopar4L1fe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume the KJ is better... the KK is pretty much a Dodge Nitro and those aren't made to be taken off-road.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
STOCK: They're both about the same for off road, but the real question is about the severity of the conditions of the off road course. These aren't the jeeps you should be really going off-road with, like a CJ or Rubicon... You got to take into consideration, peak rock heights, dips, and so on. Just an average course, they'll both do fine, with one exception. If you have an Air Dam on the KK, you lose a whole inch of approach clearance up front, so you could damage it. The KK model weighs more, like up to 400lbs more... With the 08-09 having a longer wheel-base, they have a little more stability in sharp turns. Still, I don't think there is any real advantage to either one off the floor, in their stock configurations...

The liberty has been out longer, so if you prepare it for off-road -vs- the KK, then the KJ would beat it with the 3rd party items that are already available for it. The KK doesn't have the off-road equipment yet, like the KJ does. So if the competition is STOCK, they both will do. If the comparison is with accessories to help create an advantage, the KJ wins.

Also, those values that are listed above for the '09, are different depending on the model of the 4x4, we'll eliminate the 4x2, since you really don't have the muscle to go off-road.

These two links have different values than Jeep does:
http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/2007_liberty_specs.html
http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/2008_liberty_specs.html

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys...you are all kiss.gifperfect10.gif

(This could turn very ugly very quick.)

I thought about that before I created it...but I thought I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks folks for keeping a fair demeanor in this thread...:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I would assume the KJ is better... the KK is pretty much a Dodge Nitro and those aren't made to be taken off-road.

YAWN. Heard this way too much.

Tired of it too. :)

KA is based on KJ.

KK is based on KJ.

Even then neither of that matters because technically they are all the same "K" platform, the "A" and "K" are architecture codes.

So why does any of this matter?

I say take them all offroad!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
YAWN. Heard this way too much.

Tired of it too. :)

KA is based on KJ.

KK is based on KJ.

Even then neither of that matters because technically they are all the same "K" platform, the "A" and "K" are architecture codes.

So why does any of this matter?

I say take them all offroad!

KA doesn't have low range though.....:(

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I gotan idea. When my dad gets into town I will have him take his wifes stock KK, not sure if its 4x4 or not, but I'll have him take that, then I'll take my stock KJ, and we will go through a big ole' mud hole and see who goes further. If the KK is only 4x2 then I won't use my 4wheel. And who ever goes further wins!

Sounds like a plan to me!!!! Gets pics!!!!:D

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I gotan idea. When my dad gets into town I will have him take his wifes stock KK, not sure if its 4x4 or not, but I'll have him take that, then I'll take my stock KJ, and we will go through a big ole' mud hole and see who goes further. If the KK is only 4x2 then I won't use my 4wheel. And who ever goes further wins!

The whole idea is 4x4 off-roading, not 4x2 or 4x2 mudding, that's not really a fair fight anyway. The KJ will get to top speed quicker than the KK, due to the extra weight the KK carries. They're both going to be even in their STOCK configurations off roading.

The to 07 liberty 1/4 Mile ET: 16.890 at 80.580
The 08-09 liberty 1/4 Mile ET: Just over 17 Seconds, didn't get a speed, but would naturally be lower.

Manuals would be faster...

Here is a 2007 Acceleration Video of a Manual KJ: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1406324/jeep_liberty_acceleration/

You get a measly 210 horsepower from a V-6 when the rest of the world is getting between 250 and 275 horsepower, with better gas millage.

Also, the NITRO did come out first, in 2007, so yeah, the Liberty is after the fact.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Once again...

What do all of these program codes have in common?

KJ
KK
KA

Oh yeah, they all start with K. What platform they're on or based on is irrelevant because all 3 of them are ON THE SAME ONE. Regarding KK v. KA, KA was released first, KK engineered first.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My point was the KA isn't in the comparison....it's badge engineered for a different crowd.....hence that it lacks low range.:)

Diggerfreek

Reaction score
Yes, here is my proto type set of RL rock rail sliders on my KK..............

You must be registered for see images attach