KJ shuddering in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cherren

Reaction score
KJ shuddering in reverse

My 2004 KJ 3.7 Limited RHD Auto (21,000KM) is flat out getting up my driveway on a flat suburban block in reverse it shudders like you are driving over corrugations

Werribee Jeep (local dealer)Australia tells me (quote) that All KJ shudder in reverse.

If I have my camper van (1200kg) on the back, I cannot get up the driveway at all, have to use low range.

I would like to hear your thoughts so I can take the matter further & hopefully get if fixed.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
welcome to the site...

and to answer your shuddering question, no, it shouldnt shudder like that. (I dont like this trend, 2nd post about reversing)....
cant u take it to another dealer? and have them double check it?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Mine shudders a tad when in reverse if i'm just lightly hitting the gas......done that since day 1 and no problems so far.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing, and u should always use 4low when backing or pulling steep grades at a low speed, it will keep ur ****** at a lower temp. and make it last longer. But u should at least be able to back up with it, ur rear tire should at least start spinning.

Boaz

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Mine shudders a tad when in reverse if i'm just lightly hitting the gas......done that since day 1 and no problems so far.

Same here, has done it from the first day I drove it. Of course the dealer says they "cannot reproduce my comlaint when they drive it"

It actually has not shuddered in awhile.... maybe its getting broke in..
dunno?

2003KJ

Reaction score
it really doesn't bother me. I actually kinda like it. Reminds me of how much power the 3.7 has \:D/

4wdParakeet

Reaction score
try putting the limited slip additive in the rear diff. about 7.50 a bottle from mopar but it could be a cheap fix

socalrenegade

Reaction score
Shudder in reverse..

Ok, this is what my dealer says. The trans pump pick-up is in the rear of the ****** pan. If you are on a slope of any kind "rear in the air" the pump grabs air resulting in insufficient clutch pressure for the clutch packs. Hence the trans is slipping. This will result in worn clutches and an inevitable trans failure. How's that for the quality us jeep owners are expecting. If you try too long to back up while it is shuddering or just plain not backing up a grade it will overheat and the trans temp light will eliminate. I have 5200 miles on my 05 and it goes in next week for a new valve body and possibly trans overhaul depending on whether they find metal shavings in the pan. They think they likely will. I'll keep yall posted..

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the engine is stuttering in reverse. From the load put on it by the power steering pump at low RPM. The power steering pressure switch should be sending this low rpm shuddering info to the power control module which then will slightly increase the rpm to stop the shuddering and increase the power steering pump speed. You can have the dealer check the switch for proper function, or keep one foot on the brake and give it a little more gas with the gas foot. Some cars do this when first started up and the engine is not up to temperature yet. Some will even stall, which I believe is a combination having a cold engine and the load being put on it. Fuel injection has taken care of most of these symptoms though. Bottom line is that the low engine speed with the PSP load, is causing the symptom you have described.

cherren said:
KJ shuddering in reverse

My 2004 KJ 3.7 Limited RHD Auto (21,000KM) is flat out getting up my driveway on a flat suburban block in reverse it shudders like you are driving over corrugations

Werribee Jeep (local dealer)Australia tells me (quote) that All KJ shudder in reverse.

If I have my camper van (1200kg) on the back, I cannot get up the driveway at all, have to use low range.

I would like to hear your thoughts so I can take the matter further & hopefully get if fixed.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a slight shutter in reverse when cold. But it seems to go away after a second. Dosen't happen when warm either. Never had any other problems.

Also, I've never had any problems climbing or reversing up steep grades. Seems to have plenty of power in 4 lo.

Tom D

Reaction score
shuddering in reverse

I just picked my KJ up new at the dealer yesterday. As I was backing it up my driveway after bringing her home, I was surprised and kind of concerned when it started shuddering quite badly. I read the post about this being caused by the engine and I can tell that this is definitely not the case. The engine RPM was constant at about 1500 or so. The shuddering was absolutely coming from elsewhere further along the drivetrain. I hope this problem doesn't continue. This is NOT acceptable in a vehicle with a $30K sticker ... a Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sorrento ... perhaps ... but not a $30K jeep.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shuddering

Once again, same here....shuddering in reverse. I just bought my 06 sport 2wd a week ago and noticed the vibration when backing up into my parking spot. I thought it might be "normal" as the dealer would surely say, because my mother just bought an 05 limited and hers does the same thing backing up the driveway! I guess I'm glad I got the extended warranty!!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe we have come to the conclusion that this is normal? Mine has always done it and I have 0 problems at 21k with lots of offroad use. O:)

billweaponsman

Reaction score
i picked a 2004 liberty(3.7 V6) 4x4 a week ago and looked up all jeep warranty work before purchase. it had the valve body replaced in the transmission at 14,000 miles, original owner complained of shake in reverse. my guess would be that the valve body aint getting enough fluid through it in reverse gear. this one does not shudder in reverse and if you kick it hard it will lite them up backwards. sounds like a (SECRET BULLETIN) repair. that means fix it only if the customer ******* a lot, and yes after working in the automotive field for 11 years before getting fed up with it most car companies do have them.
other repair was a BCM for no power windows or power door locks.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is the same way, and has been since day 1. It is extremely bad when you have a trialer on the back and your trying to back it up somewhere. I have used the 4 lo before to get the trailer moving, but when your on the pavement, then you get to the driveline binding up and all that stuff, but since the trans has a 70K warranty, might as well try and burn it up.

I have had it to the dealer twice and got the cannot reproduce the symptoms as others have stated, next time I will take it there with the trailer on and show it how it works.

I agree, its rediculous that these have to act like this, I have never been in any other vehicle that doesn't function properly in reverse.

Good luck to everyone.

paguy1

Reaction score
My '03 does it backing my 10 ft utility trailer up the driveway too.

Latest posts

Members online