kj may be toast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all! i have an 05 renegade with the 6 speed ******. i noticed that it's making a knocking noise coming from the bottom of the engine kinda like two spoons clapping. it gets louder and faster as the idle goes up. not a very good thing. so i had it towed to the local jeep dealer. my question is does'nt it come equiped with 7 year 70000 mile warranty? it only has 41000 miles on it. the dealership is telling me it had the 3 year 30000 mile warranty. i had an 05 sport and it had the 7/70. i don't get it. i tried to contact chrystler but they're closed. any sugestions or opinions would be helpful.

thanks.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
He's full of crap. It's covered by the 7/70. They just want cash $$$$ so they can make more $$$$ off of the repair. Ask him for the VIP Summary Report and see what he says.

... the only way I can see this not happening is if you bought it used and never transferred the warranty.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
05 MY has 7/70000 DRIVETRAIN warranty. You should be covered like Marlon says.

Dave.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need no stinking warrenty:D

Mine was out of technically out of warrenty at mile 3laugh.gif.

Like Marlon said if you bought it used and didn't pay the 7/70,000 transfer fee you don't have it.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's full of crap. It's covered by the 7/70. They just want cash $$$$ so they can make more $$$$ off of the repair. Ask him for the VIP Summary Report and see what he says.

... the only way I can see this not happening is if you bought it used and never transferred the warranty.

I dont think you can transfer it
We asked a while back when we were thinking about selling ours and IIRC they told us no it was not transferable so the couple who were thinking about buying it said no
I could be wrong
we have ~14K or 2 years of warranty to go then it becomes "mine"

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I bought my 04 from a private car lot, and was able to transfer my remaining warranty of 5 yrs/100 kilometer Gold Plan Warranty at no charge. :D

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I dont think you can transfer it
We asked a while back when we were thinking about selling ours and IIRC they told us no it was not transferable so the couple who were thinking about buying it said no
I could be wrong
we have ~14K or 2 years of warranty to go then it becomes "mine"

It depends on which one you have.

Several Powertrain Warranties have been offered on the KJ.

3/36
7/100
7/70
Lifetime

The 7/100 is the one I don't think is transferable...

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replys. i'm going to be contacting chrystler to find out where i really stand. i don't trust the dealerships.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on which one you have.

Several Powertrain Warranties have been offered on the KJ.

3/36
7/100
7/70
Lifetime

The 7/100 is the one I don't think is transferable...

THe 7/70 or 7/100 warranty. Do either of them just come with the kj when you buy it new? I ask becuase when I bought my KJ the dealership never offered or spoke of a 7/70 or 7/100 power train warranty. So far as i know I got a 3/36 bumper to bumper.

Thanks

vaughan1966

Reaction score
I bought my 05 last year with 29000 mile on, The 7/70 is TRANSFERABLE !! The catch is you have to do it in 30 days or ( I think ) 250 mile... Which ever comes first. I think its about 200 bucks to do this but for the money its good insurance for a couple of more years/mile...

hope this helps

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I believe the transfer fee is $150 and you have to do it within 30 days. there is only a 3/36 on any and every 2006 kj. also the lifetime warranty isn't transferable either.

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wanted to update ya's on my situation. i'm screwed, plain and simple. just got of the phone with chrysler and apparently my jeep only came with the 3/36. i don't get it cause last year i had an 05 sport which had work done to it under the 7/70. now that i've upgraded to the 05 renne it doesn't have the 7/70. does this make any sense to anyone?

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wanted to update ya's on my situation. i'm screwed, plain and simple. just got of the phone with chrysler and apparently my jeep only came with the 3/36. i don't get it cause last year i had an 05 sport which had work done to it under the 7/70. now that i've upgraded to the 05 renne it doesn't have the 7/70. does this make any sense to anyone?

Yup for if you are the second owner and did not transfer the 7/70 to you with the $150 fee then you only have the 3/36 or if you are the third or after owner then no transfer was available to you so you still only have the 3/36.

Image about the warranty from the 2005 Jeep KJ manual:

You must be registered for see images attach

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all! great news, my kj is not toast, but it had a close call. the problem was a defective oil filter. the oil pressure wasn't rising up high enough. this may have already been discussed here but please do yourselves a favor and never buy fram oil filters. after i head that was the problem with my jeep i did some research and wahla fram oil filters are known to be junk and have failed before. so even though i just paid $200 bucks for an oil change it's definitely better than $2000+ for a new motor.

Latest posts

Members online