KJ defeats LAND ROVER course

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno, when Land Rover owners tell other people who are looking to buy one "Feh, they're not for everyone... you really have to have a passion for them", I take that as code for "They break down a lot and they require a lot of patience, time and money"

I hear you, but its like any car owner who has a passion for a specific brand, they dont mind the little quirks because they really enjoy the vehicle/brand. the biggest issue with rovers is that when they are new they cater to a small crowd, those folks generally don't do work themselves and expect the thing to be flawless. the best part about rovers is the rate at which their values drop, you can pick a used up, work it over and be happy for years.

if youre a rover nut you know how to "convert" the thing to a dependable vehicle. shop around used car lots for discos with sagging rear suspension (common), the owner didnt want to fork over the 1k expense per wheel to fix the airbag suspension, yet someone who likes to tinker could buy it and convert the whole thing to coils for under a grand and have a better vehicle in the long run.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
offrovering Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaut
I dunno, when Land Rover owners tell other people who are looking to buy one "Feh, they're not for everyone... you really have to have a passion for them", I take that as code for "They break down a lot and they require a lot of patience, time and money"

I hear you, but its like any car owner who has a passion for a specific brand, they dont mind the little quirks because they really enjoy the vehicle/brand. the biggest issue with rovers is that when they are new they cater to a small crowd, those folks generally don't do work themselves and expect the thing to be flawless. the best part about rovers is the rate at which their values drop, you can pick a used up, work it over and be happy for years.

if youre a rover nut you know how to "convert" the thing to a dependable vehicle. shop around used car lots for discos with sagging rear suspension (common), the owner didnt want to fork over the 1k expense per wheel to fix the airbag suspension, yet someone who likes to tinker could buy it and convert the whole thing to coils for under a grand and have a better vehicle in the long run.
The same thing is true about Jeeps also,it's so sad to see all these "how can I get better mpg's" and "how can I get more power" threads,it's a Jeep not a pruis or a Ferrari.

I'm not a big fan of Land Rovers but a D90 would be fun,to bad any that did end up here in the states are going for 2.5x's what they where brand new and you can not get a new one here in the states due to Land Rovers refusal to put airbags in it:mad:.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Freelander is a nice little car, but probably beaten by the RAV4 - it's natural competitor :)

Ah.....no.;)

The new Freelander is NO toy:D......could easily give the Liberty a run for its' money:p. But, you will pay quite a bit more for it I trust. You do here!!:mad:
The Cherokee as we call it is way better value at NZ$20000 less!!

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ is pure stock , just opened rear glass so it wouldn't brake and went over ! Almost tipped :eek: but gave it some juice and went forward instead of upsidedown:D I may try it again when I put a lift and larger tires so it wont sesaw again .;)

Explain about the rear glass please...

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score

Same thing can be said for Harley's....:p

Edd Harbin

Reaction score
rear glass

One of our LR techs also has a libberty that he took over the course , but at the section where it sesawed , it flexed enough and busted the rear glass (the way the glass is mounted will flex body a little and the latch on glass wont....POP ) .

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of our LR techs also has a libberty that he took over the course , but at the section where it sesawed , it flexed enough and busted the rear glass (the way the glass is mounted will flex body a little and the latch on glass wont....POP ) .
That's odd,I've flexed mine out so many times on some difficult trails here in CO and no issues with my rear glass.Guess they skimped on the unibody material in the later years of the KJ over the '02's.But then again I have aftermarket F/R steel bumper that add to the rigidity of the unibody to go along with my Rockrails.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the tech was blowing smoke...trying to save him self from getting embarresed....:rolleyes:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if we're talking about the same LR course, but this is my wife's 2wd KJ on the course at the LR dealer....I had a video of it but YouTube took it down. It did just fine and didn't break a sweat. The side hill does have a nice pucker factor to it though...I went back in my JK and did it with the sway bar disconnected...BAD idea, felt like it was gonna tip over.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure if we're talking about the same LR course, but this is my wife's 2wd KJ on the course at the LR dealer....I had a video of it but YouTube took it down. It did just fine and didn't break a sweat. The side hill does have a nice pucker factor to it though...I went back in my JK and did it with the sway bar disconnected...BAD idea, felt like it was gonna tip over.

Why did youtube take the vid down?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Music copyright or something...most of my videos have music in them, and they started cutting them one by one...it's happened to lots of people from what I've heard. :rolleyes:

I still have this one of a guy I know with a TJ doing the same track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVp51Yqm27Y

Man, you should put the KJ video back up sans music.

I just watched that vid. I guess I'm a bit confused. That landrover track is supposed to be hard? I consider myself a light-to-medium offroader and I'd do that with my eyes closed and a black hood over the windshield, using nothing but a compass, a GPS and The Force.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, you should put the KJ video back up sans music.

I just watched that vid. I guess I'm a bit confused. That landrover track is supposed to be hard? I consider myself a light-to-medium offroader and I'd do that with my eyes closed and a black hood over the windshield, using nothing but a compass, a GPS and The Force.

Yeah, it looks like I could drive the Cutlass over it if I took it real slow and easy.......haha. Wouldn't want to embarrass LR though......so I won't...haha

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Makes ya wonder if the 2wd Durango can do it....if it isn't to big....

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I still had the video...i looked for it but it's not on this computer, must have been on my old one. there's really not much to it...rollers (brake lock diff handles that), humps (which just shows how much you can flex), and the side hill. i don't think it's supposed to be challenging, it's just something they use to "impress" potential customers...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
That so called "Off road course" that Range Rover dealers have set up is for for bragging rights to show how good their vehicles are!
Nothing more.
All most all the Range Rover/Land Rover owners around here are all mall crawlers!
I still see them slid off the side of the road in winter waiting to get towed out and back on the road.

pinecone

Reaction score
Fake Jeep haha thats funny. I like the fake jeeps but now i see the new cherokees and new jeeps and i like them. This is my first jeep but i think hooked.

Same here. I do need to take mine off road a little more than I do.

I need to get recovery stuff (hooks, straps, etc) and more off worthy tires before I do. Got it stuck once. That sucked.:)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That so called "Off road course" that Range Rover dealers have set up is for for bragging rights to show how good their vehicles are!
Nothing more.
All most all the Range Rover/Land Rover owners around here are all mall crawlers!
I still see them slid off the side of the road in winter waiting to get towed out and back on the road.

.....only to slide off again...

Most of the Range Rovers here are sitting on 22" Dubs....(blarg)