KJ CRD Engine Stuck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey - I don't know if you were still looking for me, but I apparently have been here all this time and didn't know it. Email is the most reliable way to get me though: jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com and I'd be happy to discuss helping your CRD if you still have issues with it.
Nice to see you here geordi! glad we could interrupt your busy schedule on Lost to help out here!;)

I am hardly on Lost these days...they keep kicking me out for some reason then I have to go through the whole process off logging in again and with the time difference between the States and here in SA communication is a bit difficult!:(

Russ1940

Reaction score
I'm they guy that has the CRD that blew up. The shop finally came up with a better explanation other than "out of oil." The timing belt they changed in Jan. is intact. The engine was not out of oil, the crankcase was full of coolant. He said that because the coolant floats on top of the oil that it cleaned the dip stick when it was pulled out. He said some sort of catastrophic failure occurred, blown head gasket or oil pump and that they could dismantle the engine and perhaps never identify the actual cause. The engine is seized so it's dead. They found a used engine somewhere and he's going to try to find the mileage on it. But, $4k+ for the engine and $2.5k to install it and not much of a guarantee... probably be putting good money after bad. I live in Vancouver, WA. If you know of someone that would be interested in purchasing it you may pass my address onto them. Other than the blown engine it's a pretty clean little car, appx. 160k on it.

Russ

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I've never heard of any oil pump problems with the CRD. They do b*l*o*w* headgaskets but that doesn't cause engine-locking catastrophic failures. My best guess is a dropped exhaust valve or valve seat that caused enough destruction in a cylinder that the cylinder liner broke which happens sometimes. VM Motori sells/sold a replacement kit consisting of a new cylinder sleeve, piston, rings, and conecting rod which would involve an engine-out top and bottom rebuild.

I can post an ad on LOST if you'd like.

Russ1940

Reaction score
The biggest reason for CRD blowups is the timing belt. The original ceramic glow plugs are another cause. They break off and can hold a valve open for a piston to hit causing big, or huge, problems. The water pump should be replaced every time the timing belt is changed because they don't last two timing belts. Another problem is the amount of crud caked into the intake by the EGR system. Some crud can pile up on a valve stem letting a valve stick open for the piston to hit. Sometimes the exhaust valve seat can come loose from the head interfering with the valve and piston. And some think the exhaust valves just break.

There's a roving CRD mechanic (user named "Geordi") on the LOSTJEEPS forum who might be helpfull. In any case your CRD parts are valuable to other CRD owners so please don't just haul it to the dump. If you're not on LOSTJEEPS I can pass your info on to Geordi or post an ad there for you if you PM your info to me.
Did you say you knew where an engine might be available? Idaho?

Russ1940

Reaction score
Just reread your original post and noticed your timing belt replacement was only a month ago. An easy mistake is to get it all together timed and tensioned properly and then have the belt settle-in and ease the tensioner enough out of specifications to where it can jump teeth and timing. The rocker/lifters are designed to break but damage varies. Maybe that's what happened. Some folks run the engine for a few minutes without hooking up all the turbo and coolant hoses and then re-tension the belt before buttoning it all up.

It's nice your shop cares about their reputation. Better than the previous "no oil" get-lost response.
I don't recall if I gave you the shop's latest diagnosis. They said the belt was good. The crankcase was full of coolant. They said that is why no oil showed on the dipstick. All they offered for a reason was "something catastrophic happened, like a blown head gasket. They said they could take the engine all the way down and may not find the cause. I'm only somewhat happier with what they are saying. They said if I found an engine the cost to install it would be $2,500 but "they'd work with me on the labor," whatever that means.

Can you possibly give me a range of what the car is worth as is? It has an excellent body, good interior that could use a cleaning. About 160k on it. If I could get an engine at a reasonable price I might do it.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure to check car-part.com for hard to find stuff.

i used it for my 06 and scored a rear door for my 06 with the matching paint code.

was fairly close to home too.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Did you say you knew where an engine might be available? Idaho?
Mountainman on LOST in Idaho said he might have an engine ready by winter. He's apparently opened it up and found it only needs the regular top end stuff. He didn't mention a price.

I'll check the sale prices on LOST and get back to you on ballpark prices.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I'm back. The sale ads on LOST self delete after some time so there's only one ad for a fairly good runner at $4300.. Another member couldn't get $5k for his good crd. I think non-runners go for less than $2k. Sorry I don't have better info.

I left a note with Mountainman asking about his engine and I'll get back to you when I hear back from him.

Came across a recent post looking for a shop in the WA/OR area that got a response from a shop owner who has 8 crds. You might want to give him a call;
Redline Automotive in Richland WA 509 946-6558.

Latest posts

Members online