KJ buying pointers - suggestions to new buyer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepykj

Reaction score
Hi, new member here.

Decided I want to get myself a KJ , have always like Jeep but never owned one. I have set myself task to buy something between MY02 - MY05
and dont really want to spend much more than £1500 really. dont have much money to spend at the moment.

so have been looking around in ebay uk and auctions and private.

I found one I really like it is a RENEGADE CRD 2.8D manual. looks great condition. in my price . But there is a but, it has done 160K so am very shy about diesels - my previous experience with cars in diesel is when they get problems and starts to go lumpy, usually with injectors , its like new injectors and reprogramming easy lose £1000 in the fix.

I read that transfer cases tend to go to 150k after which might need a rebuild.. not too frightening. more afraid of having to replace ignition and injectors + reprogramming. What might I be in for with a CRD KJ with 160K on the clock.

Other options I am considering a bit more standard all very clean looking: had for under £1500
2004 2.4 Petrol Sport Manual Factory Standard- 85K miles on clock
2003 2.4 Petrol Sport Manual Factory Standard 113K .Needs new Propshaft. circa £700. sounds easy fix
2003 2.8L CRD Sport Manual. Factory Standard- 144k Miles on clock £1595
2003 3.7L Petrol Auto 115K miles Factory Standard. Run a bit rough misfires £900 - needs fixing - could be anything from coil packs to intake valves??
2005 2.4 Petrol Sport manual Factory Standard 75K miles. £1550

any links to web page with details that might help understand the niggles with each model year. ?
at the moment I am thinking might be idea to get the fixer for £700 , sort out the propshaft , drive it for a bit see what I want to do, as probs wont loose money on it. and keep my eye out for a trade up.

cheers

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Never heard of a transfer case going bad on these. I'm not an expert on the diesel ones so I have no idea what makes a good versus bad one. I would look at which one has the least amount of miles and rust.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, new member here.

any links to web page with details that might help understand the niggles with each model year. ?
at the moment I am thinking might be idea to get the fixer for £700 , sort out the propshaft , drive it for a bit see what I want to do, as probs wont loose money on it. and keep my eye out for a trade up.

cheers

Not trying to chase you away from here
BUT check out LOSTJEEPs CRD section
Those guys have had every inch of theirs torn apart/ redone/ revamped etc
Some of us are on both sites and a couple of us are Mods on both so no hard feelings, but check them out bet they can answer a lot of your questions there!
Cheers!!

jeepykj

Reaction score
thanks for link and suggestions

still jeep surfing for something reasonable in my budget !
there is a 2.4 Sport in silver ( factory painted fenders) done 82K miles. clean example for £1600 .

Basic Cloth interior thou, not my favorite pick. I like the half leather style in the extreme sport specification (seen in the 3.7L ) and also preferred darker paint than silver.

this one I have seen 'spares or repairs' looks like it will go for £700
needs front propshaft supplied fitting, and needs handbrake shoe kit. done 111k miles. but begs the question if simple fixes why has he not done them and put it out there for £1400 or a bit more.

You must be registered for see images attach

I just checked prices of tyres today , very suprised actually not really expensive, can get a set of 4 for £250 nice looking tread. My old bmw had 235 width on the back and they were £120 each.
just got my insurance quote on compare the market for KJ - was ok £270 PA based on a 3.7L so maybe thats the worst it will be. 2.5L should be a bit cheaper. My old '02 diesel mondeo cost £260 PA insurance.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this one I have seen 'spares or repairs' looks like it will go for £700
needs front propshaft supplied fitting, and needs handbrake shoe kit. done 111k miles. but begs the question if simple fixes why has he not done them and put it out there for £1400 or a bit more.

If paying someone to fix, it could cost more than 700 to get it done, or maybe he just doesn't want to mess with it himself. I see that blue one has a defect, the steering wheel is on the wrong side! ;)

jeepykj

Reaction score
even with the steering wheel on the wrong side. blue KJ went for
Winning bid:£720.00 [ 7 bids ]

jeepykj

Reaction score
This is the interior I would love to find. Any idea what spec level to find it in?

You must be registered for see images attach

From what I have seen with the full leather seats on drivers side tend to get a bit baggy looking after 100k+ of butt in seat.

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If those are factory leather seat coverings, then it must be a UK/Europe/Not-US spec variant only.

Those look to me, like either custom made or something I've never seen before in a Liberty.. on the other hand, I don't tend to look up pics of Global-spec Liberty/Cherokee interiors, so I couldnt say.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Those are the seats you'll get in a Columbia/Freedom/04 Rocky Mtn edition.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never have seen one of those editions with those seats... must be rare as hen's teeth.

I've seen the rocky mountain ed. trail badged Liberties, but never those seats. Might not be snooping close enough.

Look slippery.. are they all leather?

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the Columbia limited edition. Rare to find them. Go for a limited if you can. Nice interior. I have the limited trim with cloth seats and I like it a lot.

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk