KJ Ball Joint RECALL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ2005

Reaction score
I just bought my jeep used and have an appointment to replace the lower ball joint as apart of a national factory recall. Has anyone had problems with their Jeep liberty lower ball joints?

I wonder if I should have the upper ball joints replaced while they are working on the suspension.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the Jeep isn't lifted then the upper joints should be fine. There were a number of people who reported problems/failures with the LBJs, lowest mileage I can remember was around 18K, mine lasted until 65,000. Some are replacing them with serviceable Moog units but I haven't bothered with that yet. Once you get the ball joints replaced just keep an eye on them on a regular basis and you should be fine.

turbodave

Reaction score
Our 2002 had 158K on it, and had never had the recall done. The dealer searched, made phone calls, etc - he basically couldn't believe in all those miles this vehicle had somehow missed the recall.

Anyways - now it is done.

That's my kinda deal: Purchasing a high-mileage, prior salvage vehicle for a bargain price, and getting a dealer to replace the ball joints for free shortly after :)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Mine were shot at about 30something thousand (dont recall the mileage when I took it in offhand). I didn't realize how bad they actually were, untill I got the new ones put on and my steering got much more responsive.

I also realized it after having my tires last rotated. Stupid ball joints messed up my expensive Revo's....you should hear them howling down the road now....