KJ 101

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yaki

Reaction score
Hello all,

looking to buy a KJ soon and join the family.
I would like to benefit from the incredible knowledge of other members before I go ahead and purchase and so i am posting several questions. Anyone taking the the time to answer any will be greatly appreciated.
Here goes
1. I see there was a "facelift" somewhere around 2005/6. what are the differences between the pre and post facelift models?
2. selectrac or command trac? and why
3. on 29 inch tires and a modest 2-2.5 inch lift - which transfer case swap would be the best upgrade in terms of enhancing off road ability over rough terrain?
4. I see there are two auto trannies available. a 4 speed and a 5 speed. it looks like the 5 speed is strictly mated to the diesel. is this true? if so can it be installed on the v6? is it worth while at all - meaning does it offer a lower 1st gear in comparison to the 4 speeds' 2.84:1? does anyone have any info on gear ratios of the 5 speed - I can't find any on the web
5. how horribly weak is the dana30A installed upfront? does it break often and what options do I have to replace it with a steel diff?

I would like to add that where I live, it is illegal to lift more than 2 inches or slap on anything larger than 29's (no mention of an SFA) and so available upgrades are more to do with gearing than anything else.

thanks to all

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I would like to benefit from the incredible knowledge of other members before I go ahead and purchase and so i am posting several questions. Anyone taking the the time to answer any will be greatly appreciated.
Here goes
1. I see there was a "facelift" somewhere around 2005/6. what are the differences between the pre and post facelift models?
RENEGADES GOT THE FLAT HOODS IN 05 AND A SLIGHT CHANGE INFRONTS FOR SPORTS/ LIMITED ETC WITH DIFFERENT BUMPER, GRILL, FLARES ETC
I LIKE COMMAND TRAC, BUT MOST LIKE THE OTHER ALTHOUGH NOT AS STRONG THEY THINK THEY CAN PUT IT IN 4 WHEEL DRIVE AND FORGET IT
3. on 29 inch tires and a modest 2-2.5 inch lift - which transfer case swap would be the best upgrade in terms of enhancing off road ability over rough terrain?
IF STAYING AT 29 INCH TALL TIRES i WOULD NOT DO THE COMMON OME 927/948 SPRING COMBO, BUT DO 925/947, LIFT ABOUT A INCH, MUCH BETTER RIDE THAN STOCK
4. I see there are two auto trannies available. a 4 speed and a 5 speed. it looks like the 5 speed is strictly mated to the diesel. is this true? if so can it be installed on the v6? is it worth while at all - meaning does it offer a lower 1st gear in comparison to the 4 speeds' 2.84:1? does anyone have any info on gear ratios of the 5 speed - I can't find any on the web
THEY CHANGED AUTO TRANSMISSIONS MID YEAR 2003 MODELS
5. how horribly weak is the dana30A installed upfront? does it break often and what options do I have to replace it with a steel diff?
NO STEEL DIFF AVAILABLE, D30A IS NOT WEAK AND BEST BET IS A REAL LOCKER IN IT

I would like to add that where I live, it is illegal to lift more than 2 inches or slap on anything larger than 29's (no mention of an SFA) and so available upgrades are more to do with gearing than anything else.

thanks to all
That will get you and some others started

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Here goes

thanks to all
Welcome!
Tom pretty much covered it all.
1. Honestly it comes down to preference on that one. You either like the look of the 02-04 or of the 05-07. There were also some interior differences as well, the console was revised:
02-04
You must be registered for see images attach

05-07
You must be registered for see images attach

2. Do you prefer reg part 4wd or the convenience of AWD?
4. So with autos, 02 to mid 03 the 45RFE was available. Technically a 5sp (due to the kickdown gear 2P) it is usually listed as a 4sp because normal operation it's 1-2-3-4. Google "45RFE gear ratios" and you'll find them easily. Mid 03 onward the 42RLE (an adapted FWD transaxle crap trans) was used. Strictly 4sp and very intolerant of too much heat.

Latest posts

Members online