KJ: 1, Buick LeSabre: 0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 9-year old son and I were in a pretty hard crash last night in my 03 KJ. We were going 40 mph on a state highway here in the Chicago burbs when the other car shot across our path, left to right. The driver told the cops he didn't see us. My son and I were both very shaken up, but okay (although we're both sore this morning...). The cops were so surprised at the limited visible damage to my KJ that they were taking pictures of it with their camera phones. The other guy's car didn't fare as well. Thank God he didn't have a passenger with him. Remind me never to buy a Buick LeSabre!

You must be registered for see images attach

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He didnt see a bright red KJ?! What was he on! Lol

Glad the damage to you, your son, and the KJ were minimal.

Jeepguy43

Reaction score
My 9-year old son and I were in a pretty hard crash last night in my 03 KJ. We were going 40 mph on a state highway here in the Chicago burbs when the other car shot across our path, left to right. The driver told the cops he didn't see us. My son and I were both very shaken up, but okay (although we're both sore this morning...). The cops were so surprised at the limited visible damage to my KJ that they were taking pictures of it with their camera phones. The other guy's car didn't fare as well. Thank God he didn't have a passenger with him. Remind me never to buy a Buick LeSabre!

Glad to hear you are ok.

I am glad that both of you are ok, but really surprised that the air bags didn't go off.

Sometimes its better that they didn't go off, they can cause more harm them good depending on the accident. The impact on the Jeep is no where near the sensors for the air bags.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow - thank God you and your son are both OK!! :High 5:

Amazing sturdiness built into our Jeeps - the reason we call them "trucks" instead of cars. This is the second accident report I've seen here on the forum in the past couple of months where the Libby came out WAY ahead in the damage department. Now in your case I'm curious how his insurance company will deal with your Jeep - total it or repair it.

Hope you and your son get over your soreness quickly...

Bob

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cops speculated that the airbag didn't deploy because the collision wasn't quite head-on. In fact, it was only because the airbag didn't deploy that the firemen recommended I let them tow it. I guess any vibration could cause it to trigger.

Unfortunately, I learned today that the upstanding citizen who caused this crash isn't insured, and that the insurance card he presented to the police was a fake. Not sure what to do with this info as far as the cops are concerned (lack of insurance is a mandatory $500 fine in Illinois). I stopped by the police station this morning when his lack of insurance was still a suspicion, but the person at the counter (who was not a sworn officer) wasn't terribly concerned about it. Luckily, my auto policy with a great insurer provides top-notch uninsured-motorist coverage.

Wow - thank God you and your son are both OK!! :High 5:

Amazing sturdiness built into our Jeeps - the reason we call them "trucks" instead of cars. This is the second accident report I've seen here on the forum in the past couple of months where the Libby came out WAY ahead in the damage department. Now in your case I'm curious how his insurance company will deal with your Jeep - total it or repair it.

Hope you and your son get over your soreness quickly...

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cops speculated that the airbag didn't deploy because the collision wasn't quite head-on. In fact, it was only because the airbag didn't deploy that the firemen recommended I let them tow it. I guess any vibration could cause it to trigger.

Unfortunately, I learned today that the upstanding citizen who caused this crash isn't insured, and that the insurance card he presented to the police was a fake. Not sure what to do with this info as far as the cops are concerned (lack of insurance is a mandatory $500 fine in Illinois). I stopped by the police station this morning when his lack of insurance was still a suspicion, but the person at the counter (who was not a sworn officer) wasn't terribly concerned about it. Luckily, my auto policy with a great insurer provides top-notch uninsured-motorist coverage.
Now a fraud case,hope you got good personal info from the other driver.

Just from looking at the pics the airbags would never have gone off as the crush zone did it's job and no worries about them going off randomly either after the accident.And again just by the pics there looks to be some underlying damage but is very fixable,and no where near being totaled.My best guess is about $2500 max damage with a skilled frame rack operator.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Too bad you did not have one of the orange highway cones to borrow for the picture.
You could have placed it on the upward dented roof line of LeSabre as a "Dunce Hat"
Glad you and Son are ok, the Kj is fixable, doubtful that it is a write off.
Let us know about repairs and unfortunate saga to continue!
Man if I ever T-Bone some Dunce, the passenger door would be in the drivers side.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear everybody was ok. That buick is really trashed and your KJ doesn't look too bad. Hopefully your insurance will cover it and they will go after the other guy.

Dave

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad to hear everybody was ok. That buick is really trashed and your KJ doesn't look too bad. Hopefully your insurance will cover it and they will go after the other guy.

Dave

x2 eek2.gif

Were you on Higgins? That's what your photos look like... so glad you both are okay.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Those results closely resemble mine from a year or two ago!'

lady turned across in front of me when I was about 2 car links away and I was doing 40mph my air bags didn't go off either, glad to hear you made it out ok! KJ's are tough as nails!

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too funny! I'm tempted to send these pics to Jeep corporate. They could use these types of comparisons in their marketing materials.

Those results closely resemble mine from a year or two ago!

lady turned across in front of me when I was about 2 car links away and I was doing 40mph my air bags didn't go off either, glad to hear you made it out ok! KJ's are tough as nails!

Fixed! :icon_redface:

Oh, and it's ma'am. ;)

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: The current repair estimate for my Jeep is $4978, and the completion date is July 12. At this point, it's all body work, except for one thing: the air conditioning compressor is being replaced. Thankfully, my insurer is paying to repair it, and hasn't even mentioned totaling it. :party36:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
You shouldn't worry about it being totaled ... I think my bill was pushing 10k and they still repaired her. I'm glad your OK, but not surprised. My KJ went into a concrete median on an icy highway at about 50 mph... airbags deployed. After the smoke cleared, we drove home.

All the best,

Mthigh_Freak

Reaction score
Reading these posts it reminded me of my run in with a Buick Regal back in '09, or shall I say it ran into me. Was heading to school one morning when a car about 4 or 5 cars in front of me made a random left hand turn, going at lest 45 - 50, then decided to keep the left hand turn going back into traffic and I just so happened to be there. Almost like the driver was trying to make a 360? Her excuse was she missed her turn and was trying to make a u-turn............ Anyways I was fine just a bump on my shin from the panel below the steering wheel popping out, but my KJ didn't fair to well, it was totaled :icon_cry:........

Last edited: