Key problems after putting ****** in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddielee

Reaction score
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited, 3.7L, 4x4. I cannot turn the ignition key to LOCK unless I smack the shift lever hard with the heel of my hand (forward) after putting it in park. My Jeep Technician says that the cable linkage is adjusted to specification.

Anyone have a suggestion that might solve the problem or send him in the right direction? Thanks................eddielee

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited, 3.7L, 4x4. I cannot turn the ignition key to LOCK unless I smack the shift lever hard with the heel of my hand (forward) after putting it in park. My Jeep Technician says that the cable linkage is adjusted to specification.

Anyone have a suggestion that might solve the problem or send him in the right direction? Thanks................eddielee

Sounds to me like just what the tech. said...
But it sounds like it needs to be re-adjusted considering that when you give it a whack it works!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem about a year ago. I was on an off-road run in Ct. but I fiddled with it a few times and eventually got the key to turn all the way to the off position so I could take it out of the ignition. Every time I stopped on the way home I fiddled with the shifter running it through the gears to park until finally the key turned all the way. I never really figured out what was wrong with it and it has never happened again. This happened last year during some really bitter cold weather.

Keep playing with it and be sure it is all the way in park.

Wish I could be of better help.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What Exactly.......

Were you & Jen doing when you broke the shifter?:happy175:

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through this a couple of months ago and posted on here about it, its the shift interlock cable, if you remove the bezel around the shifter in the back towards the radio you will see a black cable with a white clip, this part gets stuck and makes the Jeep think the shifter is not in park, for a month or so all i did was manually slid the cable up and that allowed me to remove the key, then i went to my dealer and had the cable replaced.

Eddielee

Reaction score
update on my problem............. printed this thread out and took it in to show my Tech. Turns out he forgot to tell me that a previous owner had spilled some kind of sugary drink on the ctr console (cola or coffee) and that he had cleaned it up and lubed the cable and associated linkage. Gave it more time for the "lube" to work and now it's working like it's supposed to. Thanks for the help guys...............eddielee

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
update on my problem............. printed this thread out and took it in to show my Tech. Turns out he forgot to tell me that a previous owner had spilled some kind of sugary drink on the ctr console (cola or coffee) and that he had cleaned it up and lubed the cable and associated linkage. Gave it more time for the "lube" to work and now it's working like it's supposed to. Thanks for the help guys...............eddielee

Good to hear that it turned out for the better.