Key fobs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought my Liberty a little less that 2 years ago and it only came with one worn looking key (factory?). I bought two more on line and brought it to the dealer for programming. My wife put the original on her key ring, I used new one and the last new one was a spare. A month ago the battery was dying (I am assuming - the fob was having issues working the locks) and I pulled out the spare. The spare would lock and unlock the doors but would set the alarm off at the same time. I replaced the battery in the my fob that was failing and it quit working completely. I replaced the battery in the spare and it kept setting the alarm off. Since it was in the shop most of December getting engine #4 installed I didn't worry about.

When it came back from the shop the Liberty wouldn't respond to the signal from either of the replacement keys - as if both had failed completely. For a week I could manually unlock the doors and start it though - until last night. Stopped at the grocery store got in and the dash lights would come on but it wouldn't turn the engine over. Called my wife and I took the original key off her key ring and it fired up.

Will Dodge's programmed keys stop functioning (starting the car) because of a dead battery?

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure that's really weird though. I would take it back and get it programmed again

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if im not mistaken, the immobilizer transponder is within the key itself and not the controller.
No batteries required for the transponder.

What type of key do you have? They vary between models.

Latest posts

Members online