Key falls out of ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My key comes out of the ignition when it is on, or in any position really. I got a new one cut the other day that's considerably thicker and it will sort of stay in, but it still comes out about half way if you pull on it. It wont pass rego if the key comes out of the ignition so i'm hoping to sneak it through with the new cut key hoping they don't look too hard at it.
I will need to replace the ignition at some point obviously. Will I have to replace the whole lot, or just a piece? I was told if you change a ignition you have to reprogram the computer because it will have a new key. Is this true?
I've had a Jeep for a whole 5 days so i'm pretty clueless haha.
Any advice would be appreciated!

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keys

Welcome to the forum. What year is your Jeep? What color is the original Jeep key? Black OEM keys do not have a chip and do not have to be re-programmed. Grey OEM keys do have a chip and will have to be re-programmed. My 2003 Limited Liberty has a black OEM key and does not have the security chip. Can you buy a new lock tumbler and have a locksmith modify it to fit your original key so one key will fit ignition and door locks? If you buy a new tumbler with 2 grey (chip) keys, you will have to reprogram the skim to accommodate the new keys.

I have read that some guys have removed the chip from their OEM key and mounted it near the tumbler and used a non chip key in their Libertys. Have not done this myself, but sounds logical. An idea you might consider if you have a chip key.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of vehicles where the worn tumbler allowed the key to be pulled out. I liked that "feature", as it let me lock the car (and get back in) while warming up in the winter. They couldn't be started without the key in, so the removable key posed no security issue whatsoever. Myself, I'd leave it as is. What is "rego"? Is that your states revenue builder....er, I mean safety check thing?

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha yes rego is a safety check thing we have to do every year, as well as pay a crapload of money just to legally use our cars on the road.
I had a old toyota fail because of a key coming out of a ignition in the past so I know it wont pass if the key comes out. The ignition itself feels really flimsy as well.
Its a 2001 3.7L v6 with a grey chip key. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement lock tumbler online? The locksmith I got the key cut at was telling me a Chrysler owner paid over $900 to get his ignition replaced through a dealership, so avoiding them if I can.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all you need to do is prevent them from pulling the key out, then thread a long zip tie through the key and around the steering column. ;)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, I was half kidding, half serious.
The reason for rejection is:
"The ignition key can be removed in any position except the “anti-theft” position".
It doesn't state at all what technique is to be used for preventing the key from being removed.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Here in Canada many auto locksmiths exist with good knowledge of repair, at a reasonable price!
Chances are your tumblers are worn and might as well replace the actuator pin as well.
You could take the ignition out and take it to the locksmith, and they will make it all like new again!
Here is a video on how to remove the cylinder...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5m31g0-3wI

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I talked to the dealership today and they quoted me $415 for new ignition barrel. Im not even sure if thats the part I need but for them to just have a look at it and diagnose it they want $182 without doing any repairs.. Sheesh!
Can anyone direct me to a good online parts seller?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
King, could you post a picture of yourself? Just so we could decide if you look that "easy".:happy175:

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol....they want $182 for their high tech diagnostics (get in the Jeep and pull on the key to see if it comes out).

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I look like a bum in my 2nd hand clothes with holes in the knees. Im not sure where they are getting the idea that im going to start throwing money at them..

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone direct me to a good online parts seller?

RockAuto.com ships globally and is a strong supporter of this site. If you look in the vendor section you'll see their thread which includes a 5% discount (every little bit helps!)

I know several members from the UK have purchased parts from them and it was cheaper even with taxes, shipping, duties etc than buying from the local dealership. You or your mechanic then have to install the parts but you're probably still money ahead compared to the dealership. :party52:

Bob

SWilliams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you just need to replace the lock cylinder itself, that is what holds the key in place. In the video you just need to go as far as the 2 minute 16 second part. Where you are removing just the lock cylinder. Now take a replacement lock cylinder (used is fine if the key doesn't fall out) Take those to a smith and have the tumblers changed from your old housing to the "new" one. Replace any worn tumblers at the same time. Reinstall the "new" cylinder and you should be good.

Another option is to hand cut the key to factory cuts. Most key machines simply use your old key to cut a "new" key, that means the wear and tear on the old key is still there on the new one. If you take it to a real locksmith they can use your old key and measure the cuts to determine what the actual height of each cut was when the vehicle was new and cut a new key. You can usually do a similar thing at a dealer, you take in the vehicle and proof that you own it and have them order/cut a new key using the key information that the VIN number gives them. That new key will not have any wear and should stay in the cylinder.

KingCur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
I took it to the locksmith and he cut a key larger than the worn original, that half solved the problem as the key stays in but can still be slid halfway out if you pull on it, so I think the tumblers must also be quite worn.
The video was really helpful and makes it looks so much more simple than I was expecting, so im going to look for a new lock cylinder online and go see the locksmith again so I dont screw it up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.