Keep Liberty 2008 shaking at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kuench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be the ignition switch which is connected to the actuator which is connected to the key assembly which is connected to the thumb/finger bone which is connected to the hand bone which is ....

Which is just a variation of that old problem ...

dsmmrm

Reaction score
My 08 has done this occasionally as long as I've had it. I now have 213K. It appears to start running on 3 or 4 cylinders and shakes like hell. It is NOT still cranking when it does this. I also get no CEL. I have never let it go until it stops since it scares the crap out of me. When it does it I shut the key off immediately.

In pretty much all cases it starts up normally on the next try which leads me to believe it is a computer problem, like a sensor not initializing properly or something like that. Consistently starting normally after turning it off and back on again is just too similar to rebooting a recalcitrant digital device to be coincidence.

Amanda J Garrett

Reaction score
Shaking at start up about 10 seconds and then shuts off. I attach a video. Any ideas what's the problem? Bought it with 20,000 miles. Yesterday I replaced spark plugs only. Car is 72,000 now. Thank you.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hi, My Jeep Liberty is doing the same thing! Did you ever figure out the problem? My mechanic can't find anything and we are desperate for info. Please let me know.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How many miles on this Jeep? Need to have new spark plugs.
You must be registered for see images attach

Just in case it is a PCM issue, take both battery terminals off, tape them together for 30 minutes away from battery, and then re-connect them to battery correctly.
Otherwise, sounds like a fuel pressure /regulator issue. Time for testing with a fuel pressure gauge, off the fuel rail & post back the actual psi readings.
Key on, psi reading, key off for 20min reading & while cranking reading.