Just ordered my first GPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndySRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i just ordered my first ever GPS. I ordered a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx for
geocaching and ocasionally mapping out trails and ect. It doesnt do turn by turn directions just yet. I'll order that sometime this year. Any tips for a new GPS user?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tips for a new GPS user?
Yes - get out and use it! :D Welcome to the wonderful world of using multi-million dollar satellites to hunt down tupperware and ammo boxes :p And don't even get me started on 'micro'
You must be registered for see images

and 'nano' caches :mad:
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wearing my tin hat, so I am not worried at all! :)

dnm45227

Reaction score
we have a nuvi 350 and it was worth it's wieght in gold while we visited orlando.

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ended up buying a GPS for my laptop and take that with me on trips. Was 100 dollars rather than 200-500 dollars. Comes with a decent mapping program and works with other applications as well. Such as programs for telescopes, and other things. Even google earth, weee.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Billy, I am wondering if going that route wouldn't be better - but use a pocket PC or something.

I like the setup of the Magellan 3000 & 4000 series...only problem is, that's "on-road" only. I'd like to get something where I can do trails and whatnot. Only Magellan to do that is the $350-$400 crossover model. I am going to start really researching because I'd like to do something in Feb for my birthday.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Billy, I am wondering if going that route wouldn't be better - but use a pocket PC or something.
USGlobalSat SD502 - this is the only unit I have found that actually has flash memory onboard. I was actually thinking about doing this before I got a hand-me-down Gateway from my brother. Now I use that with some donate-ware mapping software along with my GPS V and go wherever I want :D

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wearing my tin hat, so I am not worried at all!

Here's a funny story.... When I was in university taking my degree in psychology, I went to one of my classes wearing a tin foil hat for fun, and when I walked into the class it went quiet, and I responded with "It keeps the radio waves out"

As a side note, I'm now in IT :p

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I like the setup of the Magellan 3000 & 4000 series...only problem is, that's "on-road" only. I'd like to get something where I can do trails and whatnot. Only Magellan to do that is the $350-$400 crossover model. I am going to start really researching because I'd like to do something in Feb for my birthday.

I know my device has accessories which can make it blue tooth compatible to work with pocket pc's and stuff. Not sure the cost though, but I guess less then hundreds of dollars.

Personally never seen/used the Megellan series GPS, so I can't comment on it. As for "off road" not sure if mine will give good maps for off roading. I'm sure it will display my positions and stuff. Maybe make my own maps, or even find free maps and stuff.

Hope this makes sense, I'm pretty sleepy.

Tjdreams

Reaction score
I have a Magellan Meridian color and a Garman map60CSX they both work just fine
the garman has better reception when under cover or around tall buildings
on the open road they both do mapping about the same.
how ever when it comes to customer service Throw the Magellan away and buy a Garman because to simply say Magellan customer service ***** would be the biggest understatement of the century