Just gotta ask on behalf of my wife!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Other than the pinch weld, which I could see could damage the front tires after you grind through the plastic cosmetic covering/trim/ or what ever you want to call it- inner fender lining.
What difference does it make if you are rubbing on parts of plastic "fog lamp covers"?
I can see if you rub the front sway bar... But steel is still stronger than rubber and after a while the offending tire "traction lugs" rubber will wear down (with no significant consequences to the tire or traction for that matter! I've looked at many lifted KJ's by the way)
Is it the rubbing/grinding sound/noise that drives people crazy? What?
I can understand trimming. I can even understand radiusing the front and rear wheel/tire opening (I've done this to my Mini to fit bigger tires... How come nobody else has done this to their KJ and provided write ups?)
I've seen everything from sports cars to hot rods to other makes and models of 4X4's with radiused wheel openings.

Last edited:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the pinch weld, which I could see could damage the front tires after you grind through the plastic cosmetic covering/trim/ or what ever you want to call it- inner fender lining.
What difference does it make if you are rubbing on parts of plastic "fog lamp covers"?
I can see if you rub the front sway bar... But steel is still stronger than rubber and after a while the offending tire "traction lugs" rubber will wear down (with no significant consequences to the tire or traction for that matter! I've looked at many lifted KJ's by the way)
Is it the rubbing/grinding sound/noise that drives people crazy? What?
I can understand trimming. I can even understand radiusing the front and rear wheel/tire opening (I've done this to my Mini to fit bigger tires... How come nobody else has done this to their KJ and provided write ups?)
I've seen everything from sports cars to hot rods to other makes and models of 4X4's with radiused wheel openings.

first the rub on plastic
not a big deal even to the plastic
then the rub on the sway bar
also not an issue ,how long do you drive with the wheel at full lock turn
maybe 2 or 3 revolutions of the tire and how often do you turn full lock
also the sway bar is round and smooth
besides it takes rough a$$ concrete 40K to wear down tires which do about 600 revolution per mile
that is 40,000 X 600 to wear down tires on the street and easily double that on very smooth steel
for the record 40K miles @ 600 revs per mile = 24,000,000 revs on concrete to "damage" a tire
so what 48 million on steel
I know full well it is rubbing on something that is not moving and that will wear it faster
blah ,blah ,blah

the pinch welds are sharp and cut into the tire
this will damage them
the "fender trimming" this is all about being brave
and most people are not ,I will not be able to bring my self to cut on even my TJ for a few more years ,unless I come into some money and do a rear stretch

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
trimming sheet metal on the KJ is almost a no no, What you would need to trim is where the body pieces are welded together, that is the reason for pounding over the pinch weld instaed of cutting it out. Very little can be gained from cutting the sheetmetal

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Well I guess not to many people like to cut a piece out of their rear doors...

I understand where you're coming from, we used to 'roll out' the inner side of the fenders on Audi's and VW's etc to fit a wider tire. It seems quite impossible to do on a KJ. How are you going to put the flares back on...

Like the old saying, "Where there's a will there's a way"
As far as the plastic flares, or bumpers, skid plates, etc. Make your own. After all, when you look at Bushwacker, ARB, those folks created a niche because they saw a need for high end custom parts and for their own rigs and then other people wanted the same gear.
That is usually how it works.
I've designed outdoor equipment which now sells on the international market place.
It's called building a better mouse trap.

Look at chaterham, Caterham, Westfield, Donkerfort. All versions of a Lotus Super 7 sports car, just to name a few.
Most of the aftermarket automoblie parts (SEMA) are all automotive enthusiasts who went into business for them selves.
Oh, did I mention Carroll Shelby... He was a chicken farmer!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Jack Roush, good old boy from Southern Ohio, but liked playing around with small block Fords, look where he is now!