Just got my 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport Renegade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty loaded down. No select-trac and no ABS, but I've heard that those may not be bad things actually. Also has BBS rims, Alpine CD, and some other goodies. No Nav either, but I have a pocket PC with wireless Bluetooth antannae that works very well. I can also use it with my laptop in the Vehicle.

Mods I'll be making:
Evic, Warning lights (firefighter), Brush Gaurd, Winch, Rear Hitch, TV/DVD setup (for the rear seats), & Alarm w/ remote start.
I also have a LOT of experience with Turbo Dodges. I may entertain the idea of a turbo setup later. Much later (after the warranty runs out). I might do a twin turbo, but that takes a LOT of engine space for all the tubing to the Intercoolers.

And I had a few questions:
Is there anywhere I can look and find out if I have the Trac-Lok?

What is the best (most bells and whistles) EVIC for my Renny? (From what I've read it looks like any Jeep GC Evic from 2003 or 2004 will work, is that right?)

I think it may have a lift kit. How can I tell (i.e.; what was stock height and tires?)?

Thanks,
Rescu2000

By the way, I'm a firefighter, so I'll be adding a lot of low-profile flashing LED lights to the Jeep. It should be pretty sharp. I'll send Pics once I get it done.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Hey, Welcome aboard rescu2000

Trac-Lock, if you look underneath on the rear axle, there should be a green sticker, problem is, i forgot what gearing it was for trac-lok....(3.??)
it should also say in the sticker "trac-lok"(also forgot which side it was on...sorry too early for right now #-o )

and EVIC's basically, any that u can find in those years regardless of vehicle should work. i think 02's also....read the EVIC how to in the how to area..

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Mine doens't have a sticker that I can see. It looks to have been repainted. There is a tag on one bolt with 3.73 on it, Obviously the ratio. Is this Trac-Lok?

Also, my springs and shocks are are RED. Is this an aftermarket lift kit?

Thanks
Rescu2000

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Rescu2000 said:
Ok, Mine doens't have a sticker that I can see. It looks to have been repainted. There is a tag on one bolt with 3.73 on it, Obviously the ratio. Is this Trac-Lok?

Also, my springs and shocks are are RED. Is this an aftermarket lift kit?

Thanks
Rescu2000

Methinks you have the Skyjacker 2.5" lift kit. What size tires do you have? The Springs could also be painted.

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Springs look professionally painted. And it sits higher than most photos I've seen. I bet it's Lifted. Tires are 245 70 r16's on BBS Rims. Very nice looking (The spare is BBS rim also with a brand new tire on it.) I really lucked up on this thing. Bought it $5,000 under book.

I guess I could leave black marks to test for LSD. Or just put one tire in the mud...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Trac-Loc and non Trac-Loc gears are the same. 3.73:1. The 4 cylinders have 4.10:1 and the 2005s have 3.55:1. (4 ****** is the same)

If the green band says "Open", you don't have Trac-Loc.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
Trac-Loc and non Trac-Loc gears are the same. 3.73:1. The 4 cylinders have 4.10:1 and the 2005s have 3.55:1. (4 ****** is the same)

If the green band says "Open", you don't have Trac-Loc.

doh ur right..forgot about the open crap... #-o too early for me... :-s ](*,)

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mystery solved. I got it in some mud in 2WD and one tire spun and the other didn't and I sat still. I'll be adding an aftermarket one. Any suggestions? I'll be using this MOSTLY for dry pavement driving, so it needs to be smooth. Occasionally, I will take it off road and muddin'. I want good traction, as I never know what I'll be getting nito when responding to a fire or medical call, but this is a family vehicle too.

I'll try to take some photos of the Jeep this week. It's pretty sharp with the additions that the previous owner has made. I also have some additions I'll be making. I'll also probably add a Car PC. I have tons of parts and several laptops, so I should be able to put something together. I have about 20 Pentium II and III processors at 350mhz to 500mhz. These should work if I can find some IT boards that accept them. (Slot 1) Could be hard to find...

Rescu2000

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O, and I also solved another mystery. Found a shock on the front that reads SKYJACKER PLATINUM. Aparently that's what I have. I'll be posting some questions in the lift forum on what I need to do to prevent damage there...

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Rescu2000 said:
O, and I also solved another mystery. Found a shock on the front that reads SKYJACKER PLATINUM. Aparently that's what I have. I'll be posting some questions in the lift forum on what I need to do to prevent damage there...

i was gonna comment on it earlier, but the whole day has been early for me...i hate slow days....